Bought used MacBook

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tobindia, Jan 21, 2012.

1. tobindia macrumors member

I recently bought a used MacBook. I rebooted with the Install disks (10.5.2). I'd like to move to Lion, so I 1st tried to update to the latest Snow Leopard. I clicked on the Apple icon > Software Update. It gave me 4 packages to update, including OS X (10.5.8). I clicked on Install, etc. It ultimately gave me an error: "The update 'Mac OS X Update Combined' can't be saved. You do not have appropriate access privileges. The Installer package has been moved to the Trash. To try again, open the package from the Finder."

1st, I only have 1 user account, and it has Admin privileges. What more do I need?

2nd, Trash is empty. The Installer package wasn't there.

3rd, after all this OS stuff is sorted out, I plan to securely erase the disk free space. Is there anything else that I should do? Is there any information about the previous owner that needs to be replaced?

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

3. tobindia thread starter macrumors member

The Install disks that I used were for Snow Leopard (10.5.2). I thought it was recommended that I upgrade to the latest SL before upgrading to Lion, is it not?

4. logana macrumors 65816

logana

10.5.2 is Leopard.....

Snow Leopard is 10.6......

You will need to buy a Snow Leopard disk......

5. gumblecosby macrumors 6502

A lion usb thumb drive can be bought from the apple store if you want to go straight to lion.
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD256Z/A

However a snow leopard (10.6) disc is €30 (or dollars) and lion (10.7) is €30 upgrade from snow leopard so thats 60 if you go that path. And you have 2 OS's instead of one

Id recommend a clean install. Especially if you hardly used your macbook and have no stuff on it. It gives you a fresh start and eliminates any potential errors an update from snow leopard to Lion might cause( very very rare but why leave it to chance :) )

6. tobindia thread starter macrumors member

Duh! Thanks, Iogana! I should have known that. I even have a Snow Leopard disk, and that cleared up the install problems that I was having.

Other than securely erasing the disk free space, is there anything else that I should do to ensure this computer is safe?