Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
Purchased 2010 13" MBP.

When I display a dark or black image I see bleed over from the Apple logo and a white horizontal line of bleed over.

Is there a way to fix? And how much?
It's the Apple logo surround and horizontal line about 3-4 inch wide.

I fell in love with the machine already, eager to up the ram etc.
I need to look at better light but it looks like screen had some work done as if in some areas more glue has leaked through on the sides of the glass.

This is Ebay buy, 14 days return.

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
1onamd.jpg

21jd3b6.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2273.JPG
    IMG_2273.JPG
    567.6 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2274.JPG
    IMG_2274.JPG
    257.6 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2274.JPG
    IMG_2274.JPG
    257.6 KB · Views: 99

Kissmyne

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2015
Although I don't see the issue in your pictures based off the quality of the images/lighting, The Apple Logo utilizes the same backlight panel as the screen(so there won't be "bleeding" from the logo but from the panel itself). If you are seeing the backlight bleeding through(or drastic light illumination variance) for that... I would say return it and find another one.. there are plenty of MD101's out there.

Fix requires replacing the display $300-500 USD

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
Laptop has 80% of battery life, low amount of charge cycles and overall is good.

Paid under $400 shipped.

Kissmyne

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2015
Ok. I see the issue. As I said before, repairing the issue involves replacing the display.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The Apple logo on the back of the lid is translucent. It is lit by the screen backlight - so if a bright light (like a window) is behind the display, the light will leak through to show the logo from the screen side. If you cover the logo with tape, or something equally opaque, then you won't pick up ambient light through the logo. In your case, blocking the logo may also show where else the ambient lighting is leaking through (could be a poor repair, with the light shield that is behind the screen, inside the lid, may have been improperly installed (or left out completely… )
I can't see the white line, but a vertical white line (other other color) is usually either a poor internal cable connection, or a problem with the LCD panel.

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
This happens even in pitch black room.
The horizontal line is above the apple logo.

I have been looking all over ebay and can't find same spec for same amount.
Found a clean mint looking unit from priv seller but it's for more- waiting on battery info on that one.

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
This other one I have my hands on, seller has 100% feedback and sold few tech items but offers no returns.

What do I do???

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
Took laptop to Apple store.

Quote to fix issue:
clamshell replacement $321

I paid under $400 for the entire thing.
I have contacted the seller last night that I have noticed the issue and today that I took it to the store.
So far no response.
Contacted eBay I need to return the unit. eBay states if needed they will step in after 3 days.

Bummed.

MushroomMan

macrumors regular
May 31, 2015
Thailand
1. Return it - you should be covered by eBay, and you should be able to pick up another similarly priced one easy enough.

2. I'm suspecting that the laptop may have been squashed - I ended up with a a visible impression from the logo on the screen when white was displayed which was caused by jamming too much in my bag on a flight.

3. The actual LCD panel is only worth about $90, and for the keen DIYer, is not that difficult to replace. In your case I would just return it - I imagine eBay wins over craigslist in this type of situation!

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
Seller description:
Item condition:Used
“Some signs of use, scratches scuffs. Please view All Pictures and Then Buy With Confidence”
Condition: Some Scuffs, and scratches from normal use. Please view all Pictures and Then Buy With Confidence.

I have initiated a return via eBay

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.