bought verizon, can you give advice

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sbb155, Mar 16, 2012.

1. sbb155 macrumors 6502

I have an unopened verizon 32gb ipad, new sitting here. Went to the store this am to get it. Numerous people have told me today that this is a ripoff, and i iwll never use the 4g. I mostly work with wifi, and i have an iphone already.
    When I travel for work I always take my MBP since I need it for work.
    Should I return the ipad and get the 64gb? What are the real world uses of the 4g tablet, if wifi is present in 90% of my desinations?
    I am a corporate user, this is not for the educational crowd out there.
    Thanks

2. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

If you dont have LTE on your ipad you are missing out on the second best new feature. But if you have no use then return it.

3. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Is LTE even available in your area? That's the main reason I'd go for Wi-Fi only.

If 90% of your destinations have Wi-Fi and you have an iPhone, then yes, I'd suggest just going with a Wi-Fi version. You don't even need to get 64GB if you don't see yourself pushing past 32GB.

As for whether it's a ripoff, no. It's not. It just depends on what you value. If you value LTE compatibility, then it's a steal. If you don't, then yeah, maybe it's a ripoff. But then again, maybe whomever you heard that from was referring to LTE pricing schemes by cellular carriers... now those... those are ripoffs :p

4. jw6961 macrumors regular

jw6961

I thought about buying the Verizon iPad, but since I have a jailbroken iPhone 4S, I usually just use PDAnet to tether the iPad to the phone in the rare instances that I'm someplace where I can't connect to wifi. So I went with the 64gb wifi version instead.

5. fullmanfullninj macrumors regular

I faced a similar decision. At work, school, and home, I have wifi. I don't go out on the road/travel too often, but I wanted an LTE iPad because there's no "upgrading" from wifi...e.g. I can use wifi on an LTE iPad and choose to use LTE if I want, but on a wifi iPad I am only able to use wifi.

I figured it would be convenient. I'm still kind of deciding right now, but I'm going to stick with my wifi.

I figured I'll save the ~$129 toward the purchase of the next-gen iPhone, which might be LTE also. I have my phone on me all the time, no matter what, so it would make more sense for me to have my iPhone have LTE and be the hotspot, as opposed to an iPad, which I might not have with me all the time.

6. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

Keep the LTE. Worst case is you don't use it and when you resell your iPad in two years you only get $50 of your $129 cost back. Most likely is that you will find it useful and be glad you have it.

7. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

coolbreeze

Keep the LTE.

• GPS
    • Option to switch on data when you need it
    • Higher resale value