Bought WD 2TB Green Caviar 3.5" internal HD and concerned over poor packaging

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ToTo Man, Aug 23, 2012.

1. ToTo Man macrumors regular

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum section for this post (apologies if it's not!), but I'd be grateful for some advice on what I should do regarding the following situation:

I bought a WD 2TB Green Caviar 3.5" SATA III internal HD (WD20EARX) from Ebuyer and am concerned about the inadequate level of packaging used to ship the drive.

The drive came in a sealed anti-static bag inside a fairly small cardboard box (presumably the supplier/OEM box) with no other packaging inside this box. The drive therefore had approximately an inch of free movement inside this box and no packaging to absorb any shock/impact. This OEM box was then placed at the bottom of a much larger thin-walled shipping box, with a bunch of "air pockets" placed on top. No air pockets between the bottom of the shipping box and the OEM box, so any impact to the underside of the shipping box would transfer straight through to the hard drive. Also, the air pockets placed on top of the box were not adequate to prevent the OEM box from rolling around inside the shipping box.

I emailed eBuyer voicing my dissatisfaction over the inadequacy of the packaging used to ship the drive to me, and requesting to return the drive for a replacement on the condition that the replacement is better packaged. This is the response I received:

"Thank you for contacting our Customer Support Team.

Ebuyer has a unique warehouse system for orders. The system will calculate the dimensions of the packaging required for each and every order. This ensures we are following the guidelines for Packaging and also reduces the amount of packaging sent out for each order.

Ebuyer are encouraging our suppliers who drop ship to our customers to follow the same system. This will ensure that all our orders shipped out by Ebuyer and on behalf of Ebuyer are too the same standard.

Your comments on this delivery will be passed to our supplier.

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience or annoyance caused as a result of this matter.

If you wish to return you can request a return using our easy to use, online returns system which is accessed via your account."

From the above response it appears they would not be able to improve the packaging were I to return the drive for a replacement. I am therefore contemplating whether it is worth returning the drive to Ebuyer for a refund and buying one from another supplier, hoping that it might be better packaged? Or should I accept the likelihood that inadequate packaging of hard drives is endemic across other online retailers, in which case I may well be better just to keep the drive I've received and hope that no damage has been done to it?

2. RedCroissant Suspended

I don't know where you're located, but I would not feel comfortable about using that drive. I would just return it for a refund and find it locally. I know that in my area, there was a 3TB WD Green drive for $159 that I almost purchased.

So, return it, get your money back and spend it better elsewhere.

3. Bauer24 macrumors regular

I would keep it. There's very likely no damage. Those drives are rated to withstand 250 G's of shock when not operating.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/2879-701229.pdf

It's highly unlikely the drive received anything close to that. Plus, they have "NoTouch" ramp load tech, which means, either in transit or in operation, the drive head never touches the rotating disc. This means much better overall protection during transit (in addition to shock protection and the fact that the head is locked).

Don't worry about it, get started on installing that baby!

Btw, you should be backing up your data anyway so if it fails within 2 years, you just lose the time it takes to replace the drive, not the data itself.

4. al2o3cr macrumors regular

I can't speak to this particular drive, but most of the OEM drives I've worked with didn't come with a box at all - just the drive in an antistatic bag. That's how they sell them at retail around here, and I doubt a big vendor like Microcenter has people in back unboxing things.

However, the better online retailers will usually provide some additional padding; the last couple I got from Newegg had foam endcaps on the drive to keep it from taking direct hits in the larger package.

5. ToTo Man thread starter macrumors regular

Just an update to say I decided to keep the drive. I installed it 3 weeks ago and it seems to be working fine (touch wood!)...