Bought wife 3gs yesterday....how should i proceed moving forward?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by digitalduck, Jun 1, 2010.

  1. digitalduck macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 8, 2008
    #1
    I broke down yesterday on way home from memorial day celebrations and bought with a 3gs…its just an addt line on top of her line which was an addtl line. Due to length of time she had left on her contract, its cheaper to leave it open then pay $125 etf…

    How should I proceed moving forward? I confirmed with sales lady that I do have 30 days to return and still get 4g (IF) if comes out by 6/30. Not trying to game, she said majority of people that come in that know anything about the 4g do that. I figured that was my best option to get her one without large etf and can still return should new iphone come out in time.
     
  2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

    eawmp1

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2008
    Location:
    FL
    #2
    I don't understand...why could you not wait 3 weeks and add the line with the next generation iPhone? You've now gambled that the new iPhone WILL be released in your return time frame and added a layer of complexity by needing to exchange the 3GS for the next generation if it is released by then.

    :confused:
     
  3. digitalduck thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 8, 2008
    #3
    eawmp1, there is that, youre correct...i guess i figrued that even if it comes out in Aug...if she keeps it she only has a 175 etf.... if she doesnt and she goes back to her lgvu for a month we can just get it then...but i just wanted to ensure that if she wants it later, her etf doesnt double...
     
  4. tuna macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2010
    #4
    Yeah I'm confused about whatever ETF he is talking about... most likely that he is confused about something himself. There isn't an ETF for not renewing your contract.
     
  5. digitalduck thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 8, 2008
    #5
    Nope, what im referring to is the fact that bot hof our etf right now are 125 if we bailed for whatever reason.... Att reasied the etf from 175 to 350? today.... in case she does keep it or in case it comes to verizon or whatever.... at least her etf is low enough wherewe can bail..

    if she decides she wants the 4g its a %10 restocking fee..so like $15.....

    It was just to ensure that her etf would be low thne seeing the 4g, deciding she didnt want it, and going with the egs instead...
     
  6. kas23 macrumors 603

    kas23

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2007
    #6
    Yes, you certainly did break down. Now the only way to proceed is to march back to AT&T and return it.
     
  7. digitalduck thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 8, 2008
    #7
    Eghhh.. it was radioshack.. same difference
     
  8. kas23 macrumors 603

    kas23

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2007
    #8
    Anyways, return it. You can add on this additional line later. Yes, it will have a larger ETF, but what are you going to do?
     
  9. eawmp1 macrumors 601

    eawmp1

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2008
    Location:
    FL
    #9
    If the cost of paying the monthly bills (until the ETF no longer applies) on the line she will not be using due to her use of the NEW line is more than $125, you did a foolish thing. The new line now carries a full contract with full ETF. Return it while you can and cancel and wait 3 weeks. If you must have the 3GS, and the ETF is less than the total of the months remaining on her contract, then pay the ETF and have only 1 line to contend with.
     
  10. digitalduck thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 8, 2008
    #10
    Kas23... yeah that was my thinking....only thing is, depending on price point wife siad she may be happy wiht her new technology since she was going from a vu to 3gs...so we'll see if she even wants it...another reason i bought it early...just in case...eghh
     
  11. eawmp1 macrumors 601

    eawmp1

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2008
    Location:
    FL
    #11
    Her "new technology" is one year old and will look it in 3 weeks.
     
  12. digitalduck thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 8, 2008
    #12
    Nope...that is exxaclty why i did it... she has 10 months left... so 9.99 x 10 is $100... figured id leave it open since its cheaper then paying the 125...i guess it doesnt hurt leaving it open....save $25 in the long run..
     
  13. digitalduck thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 8, 2008
    #13
    agreed...but for her, going from a vu to this was a big leap....i mean ill certainy grab the 4g but she might not even want it..
     
  14. ItsThatKush macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2010
    Location:
    West Palm Beach, FL
    #14
    for most women or even men who are not apple crazies like most of us probably won't even care about the new iphones every year. my mom had the original iphone up until a few months ago only because someone broke it. she had no choice but to upgrade so she got the 3gs. same goes for a lot of people.

    i, however, will be waiting in line on launch date just like i do for all other iphone releases :)

    but uhh anyways, my point is that if she doesn't care about upgrading then you're fine. if she def wants the iphone 4, then you should have just waited, in my opinion. why take the risk?
     
  15. digitalduck thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 8, 2008
    #15
    Thanks ItsThatKush...yeah ill be in line as well but to quote her in a chat we just had... "yeah im not worried, i love what i have now"

    So thanks for the input unless she wants the vidoe chat capability lol
     
  16. megapopular macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2007
    #16
    Hmm

    Isn't the 3GS only $97 at walmart? That should
    offset some of those fees for you!!
     
  17. M87 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2009
    #17
    It's 97 at walmart and gazelle.com will give you like 226 bucks for it. That would more than cover the ETF if you got it prior to today. I think I see a way to get a $100 discount on an iPhone 4G :)

    Edit: ETF is 175... so less of a discount, but it's still something! Actually, with activation and everything else I'm pretty sure it's not worth the effort.
     
  18. bplein macrumors 6502

    bplein

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2007
    Location:
    Austin, TX USA
    #18
    I am having a very hard time finding the 16GB 3GS at any local Walmart in the SF Bay Area. And tonight, the Walmart web site is no longer showing the iPhone 3GS, so I think that the announcement today may change the nature of this $97 pricing (I'm thinking that they will only sell the 8GB model)
     
  19. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2008
    #19
    The bill would be more than that due to a one-time activation fee, a data plan, and a text messaging plan.
     
  20. Pummy24 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2008
    #20
    Just upgraded to 3gs

    I just upgraded a couple of weeks ago due to losing my 3g in a portajohn. What are my options? Did it figuring 16g would come down to 99$ and would get my 100 back. Not the case though. Might as well get the new one though if It is possible? only gonna get 50 back. Have a feeling I screwed myself on this one.
     

Share This Page