bounding box vs. crop box

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by dsokol, Aug 25, 2013.

1. dsokol macrumors newbie

Step 1: I create an Excel file with a combination of data (text plus numbers) and a single photo (4.5" x 3.375") inserted in the space above the text and numbers.
    Step 2: I print out this file to a pdf, dimensions 8.5" x 11".
    Step 3: Open the pdf in a photo editing program for the purpose of creating a jpg file, dimensions 8.5" x 11".
    Step 4: Upload the jpg to a photo processor (Adorama is the store I use because it is local) so I can get a professional print on good stock paper.

Step 3 is problematic. When I use Adobe Photoshop Elements 2, everything works fine. The pdf opens with the desired dimensions 8.5" x 11". When I was forced to upgrade to APE 6 (compatible with my current Mac OS 10.6), I follow this procedure and the pdf opens to the bounding box. I lose my margins and the result is bad.
    My buddy opens up the pdf using Adobe Photoshop CS and he has the option of choosing bounding box vs. crop box. Crop box gives me the result I want--the desired dimensions 8.5" x 11".

So, to make a long story short, how can I open a pdf to the crop box without paying all the extra $$ to purchase Photoshop CS? (Photoshop Elements imposes bounding box on you and does not give you the choice of crop box. Photoshop CS does give you that choice.)

Many thanks for your suggestions.

2. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

Can you do a CS trial just to get you through the project?

3. covisio macrumors 6502

covisio

Can't you just add in the margins once it's opened in PSE by changing the canvas size?

4. dsokol thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions.
    This is an ongoing project related to additions to my scrap booking. I add 20 or so pages a year, so using Photoshop CS trial version is not an option. As for editing the margins, that is very labor intensive and inexact. It's easier to keep my old iBook around and run PE 2, copy to a thumb drive, and load on my iMac.