Bout to give up.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by th3goob, Jun 7, 2012.

1. th3goob macrumors regular

Okay i dont know if any of you guys can help me, i keep getting extremely high and random latency jumps on my mac,i have replaced my modem, my router, and i even sent my mac in for repairs. None of those worked so i thought hell it might be that the phone is in the same room as the router, NOPE, i even unplugged it. There is no other interference and it just started happening. Any ideas at all? im bout to call apple and say i give up. FYI no other wireless devices in my house give out like this one is. We have a range of devices from Ipods to Iphones to droids, even other laptops, this is the only one that disconnects.

2. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Have you tried connecting to a different WiFi network? If your Mac works perfectly fine with other WiFi networks, it's probably a software/router problem.

Have you tried turning off all other devices that connect to your home router?

Have you tried clean installing your OS? Did you update to the latest OS version? Did you install all your software updates?

Network problems can be tricky, as there are so many variables to the problem. Good luck.

3. th3goob thread starter macrumors regular

i have tried other networks, still occurs.

kicked everybody off and tried only my mac(speed increases on speedtest) but it still randomly does it. Its the lastest update and i wanna refrain from a fresh os install since i have no way of backing up my data.

4. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Ouch. Well, aside from a clean install...

By any chance, does your router keep track of MAC addresses and prevent more than a certain number from connecting? Or does it have a quota function, where certain devices are throttled or kicked off the network for using too much data?

If nothing else works, I would take it back to the Apple Store. There is free WiFi there, which means you can demonstrate your problem to them in real time. If they offer to repair your computer, tell them that your Mac is essential to work and that you require a rapid replacement. If they still insist on a repair instead of a replacement, oh well. When you get your repaired machine back, test with the Apple Store WiFi - if the problem repeats itself yet again, press them for a new computer.

You've paid $2000 for a premium computer, and it's only right that you get a functioning product. Be polite and helpful throughout the entire meeting and you should be fine. Good luck once again.

5. th3goob thread starter macrumors regular

Nope my router does not have that feature. And the closest apple store is 3 hours away...haha lucky me right? It was actually repaired 2 weeks ago and they said on the repair paper that the airport card was not being picked up so they replaced it, my WLAN and my speaker 0.o My mom is getting quite angry as this was a graduation gift for me and its not functioning at all. In the past year ive had my HDD replaced(it fried 100%) and the other repair. Guess ill give them a call tomorrow... UGH

6. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Hey man, you got a lemon. It doesn't happen very often, but it happens.

Why don't you mention that this isn't the first time you've been out to the Apple Store for the same repair, and that you live about three hours out? Mention that it's been a huge detriment to productivity and that you've wasted too much time on the same problem. Demonstrate the issue with the Apple Store WiFi, and it'll probably be your last trip to the Apple Store. If the staff are unproductive, you should either contact the Store manager and/or email Apple Support with the issue and the name of the Apple Store, as well as the name of the manager.

7. th3goob thread starter macrumors regular

Will do, hope they fix something because this is quite annoying haha.

8. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Well, I wish you the best of luck. Keep us posted!

9. th3goob thread starter macrumors regular

i actually think i fixed this stupid issue...i read online that it tries to renew its DHCP license too often which results in a disconnect. So i used a static ip and ive been on for almost 1 hr now with not a single disconnect!

10. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Are any of your other machines or devices forced to use a static IP? Because not using a DHCP will bring up problems with other networks. Make sure this is the permanent fix you want before deciding to not pursue this problem.

11. th3goob thread starter macrumors regular

Im still going to give apple a call, but this is a fix to hold me over until tomorrow.

12. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Good idea.

13. th3goob thread starter macrumors regular

so i called and the guy said i am getting severe interference from other devices, i unplugged my phone(2.4ghz) and everything else and the guy said its the powerlines -_- NO WAY i went out into the middle of my yard and it still does it.

14. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Get your data lines checked. Small furry animals like to chew on things. You'll know that's the problem if it rains and you lose connection altogether.

----------

Could be coincidence. I would call your ISP and have them check the lines.

15. th3goob thread starter macrumors regular

They have checked the lines, they said its okay. I think i literally tried everything. and the guy at apple said my transmit rates arent good enough, but ive disconnected everything on the 2.4ghz and i went into the middle of my yard near no power lines and i had a low transmit rate.

16. PAPO macrumors 6502

going to the middle of your yard won't help if your router is still anywhere near power lines, I had a WiFi issue after they replaced a transformer across the street and it took a $1000 Cisco AP with 6 antennas to fix it (we got a refurb for like $200 though)

and be happy that your nearest apple store is only 3 hours away, I have to take a 2 hour PLANE RIDE and then some to get to mine (like 8 hours by car)

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

1) Go to the folder: /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/
    2) Delete (or move to your desktop) these files:
    com.apple.airport.preferences.plist
    preferences.plist​

Reboot your computer.

This will reset your networking profiles. See if this fixes your issues. If it does, delete the old profiles from trash. If it does not fix your issue, go back to the folder above and move the old files back (then reboot).

18. jburns macrumors regular

Did you tell him you tried it on other networks and it still occurs? Seems to me that would eliminate his severe interference diagnosis.