Bout to shoot this Mac thing in my house!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ardametus, Dec 10, 2008.

1. ardametus macrumors newbie

My son bought a n iMac i guess its called, off of craigslist. No disks no anything. The OS is password protected, and me being an old PC guy, had no clue what so ever on what to do. We got Mac OS X v 10.2 and started to do a new install and wipe out the old OS on the system. It asks for preferred language, then sais its unpacking and reading packages, and has been there since last night. over 12 hrs. Is this normal? Is there something wrong? I am confused, I know when my son gets home from school he will be super frustrated... any ideas or tips?

Thx in advance

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Can you give more information on the specifications of the iMac. Is it the new Aluminum iMac, the old white iMac? Is it the Intel version or the PowerPC version?

If it's an Intel version, you will need to install the newest operating system on it which is 10.5 (Leopard).

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

yea you need to know what imac it is. you cant install an os thats older than what it came with originally. that may very well be the problem

do you know the specs at all?

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

As the other posters have said, we need more info.

Take a look a the bottom of the screen, bottom of the foot or bottom of the case (dependent on which model it is) and find the label that lists the model number of your machine and post it back here (no serial # needed BTW- just the model number).

Many of us have references that we can look up the model number in to get started helping you out.

5. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

If you're really new to the Mac you might have trouble answering themoonisdown09's question. The simple way of determining what Mac your son purchased is basically this
    1) An iMac with a candy coloured (or grey) semi-transparent top is a Power PC version.
    2) If the iMac has a half sphere base and a monitor on a chrome arm it's one of the older white Power PC iMacs
    2) if it looks like a white flat panel computer on a stand it could be either a G5 (Power PC chip) or an intel chipped iMac
    3) If it looks like an aluminum flat panel it's an intel chipped iMac.

A 12hour install is certainly not typical. The operating system you've attempted to install is now 3 generations older than the most current, and I'm not sure if it plays well (if at all) with newer intel macs.

6. ardametus thread starter macrumors newbie

grr grr and more grrr

purplish blue, semi transparent white face. monitor and computer all in one. theres no model number I can find...but there is a family number? m5521. I put that into google and came up with G3. heres the link google gave me.

http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Apple-A...0-400-128-10-DVD-SND-NC-MAC-OS-9-2-BLEU-Apple

So I am assuming that m5521 IS the model number....

Oh and it is STILL "reading packets"

*sigh

7. pol0001 macrumors 6502

pol0001

Be careful with that iMac. If there are no discs and the previous owner doesn't have the password for the OS, it is most likely stollen.

8. Shownarou macrumors regular

Your iMac should be able to run 10.2 (Jaguar), as we call it. Is the machine making a ticking noise? (hard drive hitting the wayside?) Or the operating disc scratched?

9. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

G3s can run 10.2. It is a little sluggish, but for internet and iTunes and other simpler stuff like that it is workable. Is the disc a system restore disc or retail. The system restore discs will be gray and if not for the exact model will not work. The retail version of 10.2 will be 2 white discs with a Jaguar print "X".

I remember that 10.2 had 2 discs. If you only have one that maybe part of the issue. I think even the restore disc had 2.

10. ardametus thread starter macrumors newbie

ladedadeda

Disks are 2 with white print and big lepord/jaguar spots.

Cd is making what seems to me normal sounds of working, as if the reader is going back and forth on the disk...sort of a soft tick....

11. aarchitect macrumors member

I found one of those over a year ago that was put to the curb. It cleaned up o.k. and worked fine for a year before giving up the ghost. It originally had OS9 on it (complete with user data) but I put Panther (10.3) on it no problem. It's possible that this is a similar discard not necessarily stolen goods. In any event, it is an old machine that may just not be totally working.

12. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Nobody should use 10.2. 10.3 is the first good version of OS X.

13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I beg to differ. 10.0 and 10.1 were unusable, but 10.2 rocked. It was light on resources, too.

14. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

Craigslist??? Yikes! :eek:

15. nick354 macrumors member

16. LowEnder macrumors member

What a great thread title!
    keep us posted....

17. Passive101 macrumors regular

Possibly. I borrowed my Tiger disk to my ex girlfriend to use on her identical mac. She never returned it. I traded it for an iMac.

18. ardametus thread starter macrumors newbie

!!!!UPDATE!!!! All weapons are put away...

My son took his computer to school and his Mac loving teacher (who gave him the install cd's) and she installed 9.0 i think, and it worked fine, she is going to take the mac to her house and did whatever she needed to do that got 10.2 installed on her daughters Mac wich was the same as my sons...

Ugh...

Sorry to say this guys but

VIVA LA MICROSOFT!!!!

19. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Booooo, Hisssss. :D

20. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

iirc 10.3 had the same requirements as 10.2 and it had expose. nuff said

21. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

You do realize that you're an exception? I've never really heard of people having problems installing OS X lol. Your disks were probably dead. Even a 5 year old could install OS X if he had good disks.

22. ardametus thread starter macrumors newbie

tell that 5 yr old if he dont give me those disks, I'll kill his puppy and beat him up after chopping up his G.I. joe with a table saw.

23. firesong macrumors member

Child bully spotted... You could trade him the discs for a toy or something. :D

24. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

^
    But taking them is so much more fun.

I don't suppose we knuckleheads could talk you into buying a new iMac could we? I haven't yet wanted to shoot mine. I think you'd have a better experience with a slightly newer model. You could even run dear old XP if you wanted.