Bowers & Wilkins P5 Headphones

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by csjxx, Nov 22, 2009.

1. csjxx macrumors member

2. Sobek macrumors newbie

Nothing as yet sadly - although as an owner of the B&W Zeppelin, I'm really interested in the P5's to replace a pair of Panasonic over-ears. Keeping in mind the cost of the Zeppelin & Zeppelin Mini, the P5's IMO be in the £150-£200 bracket. Hopefully a test listen will make them worthwhile. Details should be out in January.

3. hrv888 macrumors regular

No in ear? Not really a fan of headphones since they are too hard to store.

4. Sobek macrumors newbie

To be honest, I can't see B&W ever doing an in-ear headphone. But then again, I never thought they'd make an iPod dock (let alone two) or a set of headphones either!

5. csjxx thread starter macrumors member

I think B&W are moving with the times, and moving with the times well!

Normally there is a high cost involved but you are receiving a highly engineered, high quality item of equipment/art in some cases.

I dont want to resort to buying the same old Bose Headphones, the B&W look stunning!

6. hrv888 macrumors regular

Going to wait for b&w iem's!! Since they made two soundocks 1 big n 1 small I'd expect them to build one headphone and 1 iem. Any ideas? Hoping they'll make one.

7. aawil macrumors 6502a

aawil

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I have a feeling that if you spend $500 elsewhere, you are going to find much better sound, but who knows - maybe I'm wrong.

9. aawil macrumors 6502a

aawil

I'd have to agree with that, I doubt there would be a noticeable difference between them and my 6 year old altec lansing's in all honesty. Although there still alot cheaper than bang & olufsen's pc speakers. I was disappointed not to be able to see how good they sound in the nyc apple store it was so crowded and noisy in there.

10. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

11. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I imagine there will be, but at some point one has to come to the conclusion that computer speakers, no matter how much money you spend on them, are not going to compete with: professional monitors or (actual) hi-fi speakers.

Like I said, I haven't tested either one of them, although I might get a hold of a pair of P5s soon. The first thought definitely was overuse of "branding"

12. aawil macrumors 6502a

aawil

Funny enough the 1 time I tried a zeppelin I wasn't really impressed with it. At least not for the money, I do like the looks of the new mini though. Hopefully some apple stores will carry that.

13. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

That would be two rather expensive computer speaker systems in the Apple Store (B&O and Focal).

14. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I can say that my understanding is that these will be released after CES.

15. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Resurrecting the thread! Looks like the price is going to be $300/£250. Some resellers out there already have pre-order links up and running, but they do state an "end of January release"... which has clearly come and gone.

As a Zeppelin owner (and loving it) I was going to blissfully rush in and buy the P5's, but on sober reflection they're going to be tested first. I need a new pair of in-ears as well as a set of quality closed cans so I guess some real research is required.

I was intending these for my commute to work every day... but would I really get appreciate the quality in a commuting environment?

16. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

These aren't good headphones for... well anyone. The sound was disappointing, the price is staggering, the comfort was sub-par. Unless the unit B&W sends me is drastically different then the one I heard at CES...well...

17. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Really? Damn. I was wondering about the fit - the pads seem to sit on top of the ear instead of surrounding it, which isn't something that I'd be after... is that the case? For that price I'd expect both excellent sound & comfort...

18. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I worked for a B&W dealer for several years. The original Zeppelin was introduced shortly before I left the company. To this day, I think there's only one (forget the manufacturer) iPod sound dock that actually costs more than the $600 Zeppelin.

I think that more than anything, B&W is trying to capitalize on the high-end/luxury iPod accessories market and it makes pretty good business sense, especially considering they're traditionally a mid- to high-end speaker manufacturer and there's a lot more money to be made in commodity accessories.

But all of that aside, it's risky. B&W still has some pretty stiff competition in the $300 price range from the well-established cans makers, like Sennheiser, AKG, Grado, etc. These companies have been perfecting headphones for decades, whereas B&W has been perfecting speakers for decades - they're very different in design.