Bowtie VS. Coversutra...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Colin0317, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Colin0317 macrumors member

which one do you guys like better? Is Coversutra worth the money (as Bowtie is free)?

2. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I don't think it's worth the extra money. There're two pay-for version: Cover Sutra and Cover Stream. I have Cover Stream from before you have to pay for it and I've had the trial of Cover Sutra, but Bow Tie is still tops for me. I like the fact that it's free and skinable.

For me, the few extra paltry options of the paid apps don't warrant the money.

3. Colin0317 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply :)

4. str1f3 macrumors 68000

I don't think that coversutra is worth the money. It has a good interface and a good iTunes control view, but if you have a large music library the search engine will choke. Until the search engine is fixed, I can't recommend coversutra.

Bowtie is far more customizable and has some great themes (my fav is zukunft). It takes up very little memory. Again the problem with this one is the search engine. The search, unlike coversutra, is blazing fast but it doesn't display an album in correct song order. But it is free.

Now, I use bowtie as my iTunes controller and I use launchbar as my search engine because it solves both problems previously mentioned.

5. I WAS the one macrumors 6502a

I WAS the one

I have Coversutra and Bowtie... I use Bowtie most of the time.. to be honest CS it's cool, but sometimes less is better.

6. str1f3 macrumors 68000

I've used both and moved on to Sizzling Keys. It gives you far more control with keyboard shortcuts and doesn't take up menu bar space. Bowtie is too rough around the edges. Bowtie's strength is skins more than functionality.

7. Molnies macrumors member

If the keyboard shortcuts is all you want, you can just use Quicksilver as well (since it already seems to be installed on all Macs...). I use QS for shortcuts, but Bowtie for displaying the song on the desktop — it's so easy to style exactly the way you want it and I haven't had any problems so far.

8. str1f3 macrumors 68000

I use Launchbar to search for music and use Sizzling Keys as the iTunes controller. Bowtie is a nice app but it's not as full-featured as SK. I love some of the skins like Zukunft. With SK, I have every possible shortcut I need for iTunes. It even lets me lock the screen, control system volume and control other non-iTunes preferences through shortcuts. It's quicker to use the shortcut keys that SK provides than to go through QS/LB to access them. There is even a shortcut for playlists which I haven't seen on any iTunes controller.

It's funny too. A few posts above this one I recommended Bowtie a couple of months ago. Someone tipped me off to Sizzing Keys and I haven't looked back. The only option that I wish It did have was to display lyrics.

9. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

anyone tried skeiron, if so what do you think?

10. matthewlowery macrumors newbie

I have Ecoute and CoverStream.
    I love both of them so much they're great!
    CoverSutra doesn't have too much features IMO.
    Bowtie is great for customizability but is TOO lightweight.
    Ecoute is brilliant, but I'm waiting for a Cover Flow update lol!
    CoverStream is also brilliant, but only if you like Cover Flow.
    I'm sometimes in the mood for CoverStream, sometimes for Ecoute.

11. CSHawkeye81 macrumors member

another Sizzling Keys user and yes it will work in Snow Leopard.

12. mrmayor92 macrumors 6502

i just like having the artwork on my desktop so its coversutra for me because i think it shows the artwork the best

13. tallguy macrumors regular

What about Gimmesometune? I prefer that over any of the mentions apps and it's still free.

14. wfoster macrumors 6502a

wfoster

I'm completely with you although I don't use Bowtie anymore. Waste of space and basically, you only need to click iTunes and it will tell you what is playing.

I heard that 'Gimmesometune' is really buggy.

15. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

I got Cover Stream, does exactly what I want... displays small album art on desktop.. and most of all its free:D

16. yoppie macrumors 6502a

Just checked out Ecoute based on your recommendation since I'd never heard of it. Looks great.

17. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Bowtie, because it's HTML/JS based, you can easily mod it to your liking. Take one you like (the first image) then just mod to your hearts content (mine on the right), not much technical knowledge needed. If you need cover art, find a bowtie theme on macthemes2.net.

Attached Files: