Box collection

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Alexrat1996, Sep 5, 2016.

?

Do you people collect your electronic gadgets boxes

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

2. MechaSpanky macrumors 6502

MechaSpanky

I wouldn't say "collect" as that seems to imply (to me at least) that I keep the box because it has some value in itself. I do keep the boxes but only to put the items back in when I sell them. if you have the original box, it just looks better (in my opinion) and it is easier to store the devices because the box and packaging were made exclusively to hold that device.

3. Videomanmac macrumors 6502

I do keep the boxes to show evolution and how many iPhones I have had.

Nice thread, by the way!

4. Alexrat1996 thread starter Suspended

I keep every single box of every electronic gadget I buy in my setup

5. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I keep some of my boxes. Stuff like my Mac Pro box and Pioneer Elite receiver. Other things like my iPad nope. Oh, I saved my iPhone boxes but I turn those in when I either trade or sell my phone.

6. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I keep the box from whatever model I'm using. When that model gets replaced with a newer one, I throw the old musty disgusting box to the curb and keep the new, fresh box.

7. Zenithal macrumors 68040

I save the box and the manuals. Sometimes the packing materials within. You never know when you might need them or if you decide to sell it and need the original material.

8. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

For expensive items that will have resale value, yes I keep the packaging because it helps keep the resale value high and is better for shipping.

For crap, yes I keep the packaging until the return period is over in case I need to return it. After the 30 days or whatever it goes.

The cat has veto power and can elect to keep a box for additional time if it suits her.

[​IMG]

(just to be clear, that's not my cat)

9. mildocjr macrumors 65816

I save my (Apple only) boxes just for the re-sale value.

My current collection:
    1x 2013 27" iMac (ready to sell when new MBP comes out)
    2x iPad Air
    2x iPhone 6S
    1x iPhone 5C
    2x aTV3
    1x aTV4
    1x 11" MBA
    1x 13" MBP
    2x Apple Watch 38mm
    1x iPad Pro (12.9)
    1x Apple Pencil
    1x Wireless N Airport Extreme
    1x Wireless AC Airport TimeCapsule

They are my shrine of boxes inside of a tub inside of a closet inside of my house, and as the poster ActionableMango stated above the cat is the one who eventually makes the executive decision on whether or not a device is sold. Just to be clear, that is my cat (or how she thinks of herself at least)

10. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I don't have room to keep empty boxes. I used to keep other, unrelated items inside some computer boxes, but lost track of a few items, so I gave up on the concept of keeping boxes at all.
    As above, I will keep a box until the return period is past, then out it goes. I don't see the point in keeping (at least for me)
    I also don't purchase any item of tech with the idea of eventually selling it. I use it, until I am done using it. Sometimes it is just all used up.
    I have had maybe 15 different Macs during that 25 years. I have never sold one off (and only have 5 or 6 now that are still useful to me. I lose count :D)
    I guess I am unusual, but I have never had a later need for original packing materials in more than 25 years of working with computers, and other tech - even during a move.

11. mildocjr macrumors 65816

Nope that's considered normal. Welcome to the forums where other people doing that exact thing come to gather. If you were a Windows user doing that, well, we'd be concerned. :D

12. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery