Box Sync Won't Start

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by KlytusLord, Oct 21, 2014.

1. KlytusLord macrumors regular

Hello,

I just re-installed (clean install this time) on two of my machines, my MacBook Pro 15" and my Mac Pro. So far there are only two issues:

1. Can't join Active Directory (addressed in a different post)
    2. Box Sync (from Box.com) simply won't start

The App installs, but it simply refuses to run. DropBox, which offers the same service, had no issues on the new installation. I have been going back and forth with Box support, but no luck so far (it takes forever to get pass their troubleshooting 101 approach.)

Already tried:
    1. Uninstall/Reinstall
    2. Re-download the app
    3. Repaired permissions
    4. Reboot

Credentials are not an issue, since it never gets to the stage where it asks for them. The App simply does not run; it pops up the computer authorization dialog and then nothing happens after entering the computer password. The password is not an issue - the dialog in question "wiggles" when a wrong password is entered. In this case, the password is accepted, the dialog disappears, and then literally nothing. Box Sync does not show up as a process in Activity Monitor, so it is simply quitting.

On my clean installs I have very few non-app-store software running, so I don't know if this is happening with anything else. As I mentioned, DropBox is running fine.

Also, on my MacBook 13", where I installed Yosemite as an upgrade instead of a clean install, Box Sync IS working, so I am at a loss as to what the clean install is doing that prevents it from running on two separate machines.

Any ideas? Is anyone else having this problem with either Box Sync or other non-app-store apps?

Thanks.

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Box Sync Fix

Slightly different but My Box Sync starts but won't sync. On the Box site forums it advises to run this command in terminal:

sudo mkdir ~/Library/PrivilegedHelperTools

It created the dir for me and Box sprang into life straight away on both installs.

Note you need the tilde at the start "~" else it advises the dir exists and no change. Annoying as on the face of it that means a simple typo has caused many Yosemite users lots of grief and not been fixed in a new release yet.

I'm on Box as my Dropbox has runaway cpu on this MBP that a <complete> fresh install of Dropbox (and nothing else), can't fix....