Boxcryptor or good ol' Disk Utility for DropBox stuff?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GanChan, Mar 6, 2017.

1. GanChan macrumors 6502a

I would like to store a few folders of sensitive financial data on DropBox for easy access while on the road. I already use a VPN to keep the coffee-shop hackers at bay, but I worry about security on the DropBox end of things. My current thought is simply to make an encrypted .dmg file of the folders via Disk Utility and park that on DropBox -- but I also see people using specialized programs such as Boxcryptor. Is there any particular advantage to one approach over the other?

2. chown33 macrumors 604

If it's only a few folders, I'd probably use an SD card or USB stick, with FileVault encryption enabled on it. That way there's nothing in the cloud, and nothing goes over potentially unsecured networks.

If there's a compelling reason to share the data using DropBox, then a Disk Utility encrypted dmg would suffice. It has the advantage of not needing a separate download or install.

Either way, I'd also make sure the password was NOT stored in my keychain, and I had to type it in every time. That's a function of knowing how the default login keychain works.