Boxed Applecare on eBay=safe?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by oregon2, Aug 26, 2009.

1. oregon2 macrumors regular

There is definitely scamming going on with sellers sending codes then returning applecare. Then when you try and get work done, they want verification. Is the box enough (assuming it's the real box with real serial#)? Has anyone who bought on eBay used the box to verify?

2. oregon2 thread starter macrumors regular

I've read that thread a lot, but there is really no conclusion... some are too scared to buy on eBay at all, some are convinced that even codes are fine.

And then Macman comes in and posts that he is completely legitimate, so now I have no idea what to think....

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Actually the conclusion (if you read carefully enough) is that if you have the box, you're in the clear. Apple considers that box (or more accurately, the slip of paper with the code on it that's inside the box) to be the final proof of AppleCare.

jW

4. Knoxville3G macrumors member

Better yet, buy it off of Amazon and save over $100. Easy decision to me. Bought Applecare from Amazon for my new 15" uMBP for $247, from Apple it costs $350. No brainer there.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

I agree.

The worst thing I can think of happening is that the box arrives opened, and someone else has already used the code. However, you'll know that as soon as you try to register it, which makes it super-easy to followup with on eBay.

6. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

While buying a boxed version from ebay is "safer" than just buying a code, it's still not as "safe" as getting it from apple or an authorized reseller

7. oregon2 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, this is what I've been thinking... I'm wondering if you bought the box, and six months down the line you have an issue and Apple starts asking for proof, is the box ever enough?

Don't they normally ask for proof of purchase?

8. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I think they either ask for the box with the SN or a receipt.

9. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Doesn't really matter. Pay by Paypal and you get buyer protection. If there's any funny business, just chargeback.

10. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

that's a small consolation if Apple says you aren't covered with applecare and you're past the time you're eligible to buy applecare