Boxes!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sjleworthy, Nov 28, 2015.

1. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

how many of you keep your Apple product boxes and packaging? i appreciate they also make their boxes and packaging a work of art as well, which are part of the system almost, but heck, it's only a box. right?

personally, after 2 or 3 weeks when i'm completely happy that nothing needs returning the packaging goes for the bin. nothing is kept, not even the instructions. all it'll end up doing is gathering dust on a shelf, where other crap could be gathering dust on a shelf instead. and if i need to send my device back within the allotted time for whatever reason the box isn't an essential ingredient in my terms and conditions with whoever sold it to me.

i'm literally just throwing out my smart keyboard and Pencil boxes and instructions as we speak :)

what about you chaps?

2. BradWould macrumors 6502

BradWould

3. sjleworthy thread starter macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

4. JackieInCo macrumors 601

The only box that I have ever thrown away was for a 2008 Mac Pro. I threw the box away about a year after I sold the computer. I didn't keep the computer too long, about a year.

Other than that, I have all the boxes for everything I currently own.

5. ZhenyaF macrumors 6502

I keep all my boxes, since I resell all the Apple items. I even keep the boxes for most of the accessories

6. HenryDJP macrumors 603

I keep all my Apple boxes, and I agree they look good! I don't keep them for resale though, it's just good for transport in case I move, especially since I have an iMac.

7. goomba478 macrumors regular

I keep all boxes for the same reasons as others: it increases resale value. My last iPhone I sold it without the box and inserts and it ended at least $20-$30 less. I just display them on bookcases as a sort of modern art until it's time to sell ^_^.

8. arftech99 macrumors regular

arftech99

9. Cvx5832 macrumors regular

Tossed after the return period. Otherwise they'd take up closet space. Old devices handed down not sold.

10. newellj macrumors 601

Resales are faster and arguably higher priced with the original box. They take almost no room - I always keep them.

11. jmrdmd macrumors newbie

Never keep them. Usually Gazelle my old stuff

12. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Ditto this

13. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Like others I keep my boxes in case I want to resell the device later on.

14. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Heh, I still have my 2006 MacBook Pro, iPod 3rd generation, iPod Video, and iPhone 2G boxes in clear sight, I'm THAT bad. :oops:

We keep our boxes for no reason in particular. I dunno, would you want someone to see those things in a trashcan outside your house? I don't think I would.

15. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I don't have a lot of space in my condo apartment and so at times have had to reluctantly discard larger boxes once I've ensured that the item works just fine. I do still have my 2012 iMac box, though, and I have the boxes for my iPads, iPhone and rMBP, as well as the boxes for the Apple watch (both the external box and the plastic box in which the watch was positioned). I use some of my older iPhone boxes for storage of small items, and I use an old iPad box for storage of some papers. Ditto for the box my first-gen MBA came in back in 2008. Works a treat for that purpose! I've either given away my older devices or I've sold them to Gamestop or Gazelle, neither of which needs the box as well. When the time comes to move in a few years, it will be good to have boxes for whatever my current devices are then, but I'll probably wind up having to discard some of the older boxes unless they're in use for something else or can be used during the move.

16. double329 macrumors 6502

I kept all the boxes, not just Apple. I appreciated Apple product boxes more. They seem to spent a lot of time and money on making the box as impressive as the product inside the box.

17. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Boxes? I have 'em all. For every Apple product that I've ever owned - except for my first Mac Mini back in 2004. Since then, I've kept them app - iMac, rMBP, Mini, iPads, iPhones, Airports, AppleTVs, Watch, keyboards, mice...

18. ielessar macrumors regular

I keep all boxes. I still have my iPhone 4 box, all the way to 6S.

19. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

1. for resell purpose
    2. when you get like 20, 30 apple boxes, you put them all together in some order, it's a piece of art itself.

20. sparkie1984 macrumors 68000

I keep all my electronic device boxes . Mostly for resale, I also keep all the plastic wrapping etc and I'm fortunate to be able to sell to family and friends as they know they'll get a device that's fully packaged with accessories etc.

21. gtmac macrumors 6502a

I just gave my brother my mini, with boxes for the mini, the Smart Case and the Smart Cover. Makes it feel almost new with the boxes. So yes I keep all of them for reselling which has mostly evolved into gifting.

22. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

Always! :) This goes a long way if and when you resell as many others have said! I find sometimes one of the first things I am asked is "Does it come with the original packaging?" YES it does! ;)