Boxless Windows Virtualization?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by d4m1r, Nov 28, 2012.

1. d4m1r macrumors regular

d4m1r

Hey guys, I am looking to install Windows 7 on my MBP but I need it to do something specific....I want to be able to put Windows applications on my dock and run them so they look native to OS X. I mean they don't run within a virtualized box (like from a Windows desktop) but when launched, load up like they would on Windows. They would still be running within a virtualized layer underneath of course, but it would not be visible. And I would be able to close individual applications, make it full screen, etc.

Can VMware Fusion, Parrallels, or even Virtualbox do this? Let me know if you guys need more information.

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Parallels has a mode called Coherence that does what you are describing, basically just merges the virtualization to the main OS and runs everything seemlessly.

3. bogatyr macrumors 65816

VMWare Fusion also does this, in their package it is called Unity. I think most VM host apps offer this type of system now.

4. d4m1r thread starter macrumors regular

d4m1r

Right, seemless is probably the better way to describe it....Thanks for the replies guys, look like I'll be installing Windows 7 via bootcamp and then installing Parallels as it seems to have better performance reviews than VMware Fusion.

Now, what about stability? For those that have a similar "seemless" setup, is it any more prone to crashes than running it within a virtualized box/window?

5. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Stability is pretty good in that mode, although if you are running it on the machine you have listed in your sig then I would be cautious because that mode seems to like using more RAM than the normal windowed mode. If anything I'd upgrade your system to max RAM to help boost VM performance, since it's cheap these days.

6. d4m1r thread starter macrumors regular

d4m1r

A RAM upgrade is coming in the near future (probably gskill or crucial) and thanks for the reply guys!

Think I'm gonna go with Parallels 7 or 8 over VMware Fusion....

7. vladster macrumors member

8. markp99 macrumors member

Using VMWare in this very way (Unity).

My MSAccess icon sits on the doc right beside my Mac apps (along with a handful of other Windows-only apps). Truly seamless.

My limited testing, for my specific needs (large DB manipulations), indicated VMWare a better choice. Performance is quite comparable to bootcamp-only tests I ran.

Good luck!

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

I haven't really tested performance between the two but the popup ads at startup with Parallels were a dealbreaker for me and I switched to Fusion.

10. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

Having used Parallels 7 until recently and now using Fusion 5, I'd have to say that they're both pretty similar. I'm still getting used to Fusion, but off the bat I'd give Coherence the slight edge over Unity in terms of seamless integration with OSX. I am finding that Fusion is slightly more stable. Performance seems about the same, but I'm running Fusion on a 16GB system whereas I only ran Parallels with 4GB.

I am glad to be rid of the Parallels post-purchase pop-up advertisements, though I might miss the chance to craft such alliterative phrases.

11. bogatyr macrumors 65816

If I had bought Parellels and they put ads in it, I'd be furious. Guess I'll never try their software.

12. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

not to diss the parallels guys or such, but vmware is doing this virtualization stuff from day 1... remember using their products to run windows 2000 inside linux 2.4 ages ago.

that's where my money goes. so far trouble-free and I can even just copy the virtual disks to my 'corporate' computer that runs windows if I need to and it works flawlessly (fusion 4 on mac, workstation 8 on windowze). probably not as easy with parallels.

cheers