BoxOffice Back on App Store

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by jah921123, Aug 13, 2008.

1. jah921123 macrumors member

The developer of BoxOffice just emailed me letting me know it's back up on the App Store. He didn't say why they pulled it, but at least it's back up!

2. jpeso2525 macrumors member

jpeso2525

Great news! By far the best Movie app at the moment. Is it updated? Version 1.3? Or just the 1.2 version?

3. Surely Guest

Surely

Cool cool!

Now everyone who didn't get a chance to download it when it was first out will be able to enjoy this awesome app too. I've been using it since it first came out (before it was pulled by Apple). It's a fantastic app.

I wonder if we'll find out why it was pulled off the App Store in the first place....

It's version 1.2. That's the same version I still have from before it was pulled.

And it has a release date of July 6.

4. jah921123 thread starter macrumors member

In his email to me he only mentioned 1.2, but it looks like (from other posts in the forums) that he has 1.3 in the works with some other great features, too.

And for the record, I noticed after I posted this that people had mentioned it being back up and running in the other BoxOffice thread. I just thought it would be useful to start a new thread to let everyone else who wasn't checking that thread regularly know as well. So please, don't flame me for a semi-redundant thread :)

5. jpeso2525 macrumors member

jpeso2525

Yeah, I'd be very interested in seeing the reason for it being pulled. We'll probably never know but oh well, atleast it's back on!

I wish they could add some sort of box office sales feature into it somehow!

6. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

No flames (just since you asked :p), but here's the point of the thread where he gives the update about it being back.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=535228&page=6

7. jah921123 thread starter macrumors member

He mentioned that the non-disclosure agreement prevents him from really commenting on why it was pulled. There was some speculation that it had to do with using Rotten Tomatoes without permission, but that hasn't been confirmed.

8. jpeso2525 macrumors member

jpeso2525

Okay. Well if that's the case then I'm guessing he now must have permission?

9. johata3 macrumors regular

Just when I got a free iPA copy from a friend...oh well. I just hope (maybe) some apps like Netshare might come back...

10. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

i just downloaded it from my touch, works great, smooth UI. I've been waiting for it to be back ip for awhile.

11. ipoppy macrumors 6502

no UK

Is that only in US store, because I cant find it in UK iTunes. I guess this app is specifically design for US or I am wrong?
    Cheers

12. ericelben macrumors member

ericelben

Renamed

In the iTunes App Store, "BoxOffice" has been renamed to "NowPlaying" (on the description page, not yet reflected in search results) which might indicate that a trademark dispute caused its temporary absence.

13. ictiosapiens macrumors regular

Yes, it's US only thus far... I tried it here before it was pulled, and it didn't show any cinemas near your area...

14. thestaton macrumors 6502

15. slicecom macrumors 68020

SWEET!!! It now supports Canadian Postal Codes, and man is it a slick app! Thanks guys! :)

16. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

Good news, although I've had it all along and it kept working. Maybe they will be able to update it now.

17. HarryKeogh macrumors 6502a

Most useful by far (for me at least...I'm a movie nut) and it's setup so well. Great news.

18. pureeville macrumors newbie

Very slick indeed.

19. ajthomason macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

It's strange - It appeared in search results earlier, but would not show any more info. Clicking the 'Get App' button gave some error about the price being changed while it was attempting to purchase it.

Oh Well, reports say that it wouldn't work here anyway. Shame.

20. Xavier macrumors 68020

21. soundsgoodtome macrumors regular

soundsgoodtome

Name's changed.

It's interesting that no one's mentioned that the name of the app has changed. It's now called "Now Playing."

(Since no one has noted any removed features, perhaps the name change is a clue, regarding the reason it was previously pulled.)

22. Metasyntactic macrumors regular

Worldwide support is being worked on right now.

23. Metasyntactic macrumors regular

What would you like to see 'fixed'?

24. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Very nice to see this back on (installing now)... did you any have trouble using the normal "Box Office" name, as I see you renamed it to "Now Playing."