Boy, 2GB of 3G data goes fast

Discussion in 'iPad' started by eagleglen, Mar 9, 2011.

1. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

I'm away from a wifi connection for the next few days, so I've activated the AT&T 3G connection on my iPad. From just my normal daily surfing, chacking email, watching maybe 3 or 4 YouTube videos (at lower res), and downloading an issue of The Daily, I've used over 500MB in only 24 hours!. Thats over 25% of my 2GB allowance for 30 days. No way could I make it if this was my only connection to the internet. I've noticed the data rates are cheaper through Version if you consume a lot, so I may go that route with the iPad 2, it's just that my 3G use is intermittent.

On a side note, I went to a Starbucks to use their wifi. The date rate was slower than my 3G connection!! Since it's free, even though you're buying their drinks, so maybe you shouldn't expect much. But it made my 2GB bucket go down even faster.

Keeping the old AT&T unlimited plan didn't make sense for me financially, but I can defiantly see why so many people cherish it, despite how few people AT&T claims are high consumption users.

2. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

3. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

4. Prolif1k macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Are you sure you didn't forget to reset your usage stats at the beginning of your pay period? Some of that might be carry over from the previous month. Just a guess...

5. seajay96 macrumors 6502

More than enough. Biggest data hogs are exactly what the OP is doing: video/audio, magazine and app downloads.

6. jason1790 macrumors member

How did using Starbucks Wi-Fi make your 2GB limit go down faster? Any usage while on Wi-Fi does not count towards your 3G usage. Also, 500MB on only those few things? Did you reset the usage thing to 0?

The first month I had my iPad 1 I turned off Wi-Fi just to see how much data I would use. I did not come close to 2GB.

7. eagleglen thread starter macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

I made certain when I activated the 3G service, I also went into the system>usage setting to reset it. I knew I would need to be monitoring my usage from that moment on.

I just added the Starbucks comment as a curious side note regarding how slow their connection is. If I was desperate for a wifi connection, that's one of the places I would look. Some video I wanted to watch wouldn't play at all, but when I turned wifi off, the 3G connections did play it and without any lags, although at a lower resolution. I also measured the speed of their connection a couple of times, and my 3G was always faster. (At home, my wifi is connection is 10 to 15 times faster than 3G.) Just found this interesting. I know a lot of people are debating the value of getting a 3G capable iPad right now, what with the iPad 2's pending release.

8. bwrairen macrumors 6502

Grabbing wifi at a place like Starbucks can be hit or miss. Basically, if the parking lot is full, don't count on watching video. Most McDonalds have free wifi, and you will probably be the only one using it so it will be fast.