Boy does it suck being overweight

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by glocke12, Feb 27, 2009.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

I am 5'9". Two years ago, I weighed 190 and had a 32 inch waist (and even than I was probably anout ten lbs over my ideal weight), than a series of events happened that caused me to live a very unhealthy, stressful lifestyle. No need to get into the details of all that, but the end result is that I now weight 260 and have a 40 inch waist. It is just lately within the past couple of months that I am starting to feel the affects of that. Back problems, sore feet after standing or walking for any length of time, and various other aches and pains that come with caring extra weight. Basically, I am uncomfortable all of the time.

Any others feel the same way? Are there any overweight people that are not uncomfortable?

Ive started taking steps to get back to where I was two years ago (eating better, trying to get more exercise), but I think I have a long road ahead of me.

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Don't take your guns to town, Son, don't take your guns to town. :rolleyes:

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Seriously, how do you live a stressful and unhealthy life, and gain weight?

When I was stressed and eating unhealthily, I lost weight. I'm ~125 lbs and 5'10". I'm trying to gain some weight back, but seriously, I just don't get you overweight people. I'm breaking the bank trying to eat enough to gain weight, and you act like it's nothing to consume all that calories you need to gain weight.

Seriously, I'd like to hear your story, maybe you can lend me some tips on how I'd get fat without emptying my bank account.

4. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I was pretty overweight for a few years. At my worst, I was 165 pounds (I'm 5'0") and I noticed I was feeling pretty terrible most of the time, physically and mentally. I'm still a little chunky, but my point is, I know how you feel. You just need to keep at it, and you'll lose the weight.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

huh?

unhealthy= eating fatty foods and not exercsiing and gaining weight

stressful= people having vices like eating, smoking and wanting to relax when home, not be active

6. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Its not that I was sitting around gorging my self, details of how I got this way are besides the point, but this is basicaly it.

1) I have slow metabolism for one thing, so unless I get an hour of exercise every day, everything I eat seems to get stored as fat. I was in a situation where it was next to impossible for me to have any kind of exercise routine.
    (90 minute commute to work one way, ten hour work day with hardly any break, than having to take care of my elderly mother who required constant care).

2) Because of number 1 above, I pretty much had very little choice in meals. Didnt have the time or energy after the day was done to prepare healthy meals, so ended up with alot of take out (pizza and chinese), in addition to various fast foods.

3) Due to the stress I was under at the time, I started drinking more. Not enough to be considered an alcholic, but enough to pack on more pounds.

Yeah, mentally things are more challenging Ive noticed also....Ive always felt younger than I am, and prior to putting this weight on had no real problem hanging with people that were ten-15 years younger. But these days I feel about 10-15 years older.
    My goal is to lose 5 lbs a month. I think that is pretty reasonable.....

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I never exercise - I just sit at the computer all day. Fatty foods? If you empty large bags of chips and whole boxes of cookies daily, that = $$$! Unless that's literally the only thing you eat, then I can't imagine eating like that, I'd feel like ****.

At my worst, I'd eat one row of Oreo cookies for breakfast, eat three packs of Reese's for lunch, and eat a double cheeseburger with bacon or pizza with bacon or steak or whatever, or occasionally chinese lo mein/dumplings for dinner.

I feel like ****, and that was also the most expensive expense on food for a month I've had in a while because I keep getting take-out foods and Oreos and Reese's.

But you know what? It all totals up to ~1,500-2,000 calories a day. Not nearly enough to get me to gain weight, even sitting around all day! I was STUFFED all the time and still had zero energy.

Right now, I spend less than that per month, and eat healthily, and consume more calories per day than that - ~2,500-3,000 calories per day. If I cut down to ~1,500, my food expense would be relatively cheap indeed. I also feel stuffed much less of the time, even though I'm consuming more calories, and I have a lot more energy too.

You know what literally saved my diet? The god-given hand blender. Whole meals made and cleaned up in minutes!

8. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

The thing is to try and get into a routine of daily exercise and eating better. You can start small. I think your goal of 5 lbs a month is a very good place to start. pack a lunch the night before to keep you from eating out every day. ( Saves $$ too BONUS!) Once you begin to see change its even more motivation to keep going. There used to MacRumor challenges that one could do via the Nike plus chip, so that might be something for you to check out as well. Just take it a day at a time and you'll see progress in no time. Best of Luck!

9. angelneo macrumors 68000

Your metabolism rate is a lot higher than others, for you to gain weight, you actually have to exercise. Also, different people reacted differently to stress, some people loses their appetite, some eat more etc.

10. grrlwonder macrumors newbie

glocke - i am right there with you. 2 years ago I weighed 160lbs @ 5'8" - I thought I could stand to lose 10lbs. Now 10lbs seems like nothing. I am over 200, haven't changed my eating habits, but lost free time during the day that I spent walking & cleaning house. Instead I sit at my desk all day.

I feel it - everything seems like it is starting to buckle under the weight (don't kick a grrl when she's down, k?) and i am always tIrEd!

I'd like to hear more about the MacRumors challenge - that sounds good.

11. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

PM me your mailing address, and I'll express post you some mono. Does wonders for weight loss. :/

In all seriousness: I dropped about 20 pounds last winter, and while I'm still heavier than I'd like, I can't stress enough how important eating healthy and getting at least moderate exercise is. I normally ate a cup of yoghurt and a piece of fruit for breakfast, a stir fry or salad or sandwich for lunch, and chicken/pork and a salad for dinner. I didn't work out at all, but I walked for about 90 minutes almost every day, which helped. You don't need to walk that much, from what I've read if you walk ~40 minutes five times a week it'll still do wonders for your health.

5 lbs/month is a reasonable goal. 2 lbs/week is considered fairly healthy, and you might find that you loose more than your goal early on, but it will take longer to shed weight the closer you get to your ideal goal.

I used to browse these forums: http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/ I never actually joined, because I got busy and was too lazy to make the time to get back to my workouts, but even just reading some of the threads was really good. The community is very, very nice.

There's also a weight loss goal thread kicking around this forum somewhere... :)

Good luck! I personally believe that 90% of weight loss is willpower. Above all, you need to be willing to stick with it if you actually want to see progress.

12. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

Calories burned > calories consumed

That's all you need to focus on.

13. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

glock12, do you mind telling us your age? Getting old can lead to weight gain and make you feel worse as a result of it (more so than if you were in your 20's or 30's). One thing I do to keep my weight down is to eat a lot of apples and other fruit when I am hungry, and staying busy by doing chores, walking our dog, and other such things rather than "formally" exercising.

14. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Stress affects us all differently.

I, for example, am just like glocke12. I gain weight when I am stressed or feeling blue because I don't watch what I'm eating and have less motivation to exercise.

It's a cruel twist of fate, but when I'm happiest, I'm also the thinnest and most active. So the trick for many of us is to never get off that positive cycle.
    For some of us, it is nothing. Assuming I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary, my normal caloric needs for a day are only about 1500 calories. That's with a few days of working out in a given week and excluding the typical occasion where one would consume more calories (a party or night out for example). So on balance, I have to consume about 1450 calories a day to maintain my weight at 135 lbs. Any more, and I add pounds fast.

It all comes down to metabolism and body type. We're not all the same.

Eat more protein, calcium, and calorie-rich foods.

And then, when you reach middle age, have fond memories of the problem you face today. ;)
    You're going to have to remember to drink more water than before. As you lose weight, your body is going to need the water in order to flush out the byproducts of fat degeneration.

Remember also to not think of it as a diet, or you could bounce back after losing the weight. Instead, focus on reducing your portions and making a point of working out on a regular basis.

Your best bet in the beginning is to count calories relentlessly. After a while, you'll be able to estimate the calories in many foods and you'll automatically get into the habit of eating smaller portions. But in the beginning, it will be difficult.

If you weigh 260 lbs right now, then your total metabolic rate should be around 2,760 calories per day. Since your target weight is 190 lbs, you need to slowly reduce your caloric intake to match about 2,000 calories/day. Don't do it all at once, because that might put your body into starvation shock. Instead, Start with 2,600 calories for the first week, then 2,400 the next, etc.

With moderate exercise and a daily calorie deficit of ~700 calories (in the beginning), you should be able to lose a reasonable amount of weight in the beginning. However, beware the tapering effect. After you've lost more than 50% of your target weight, the rate will slow incredibly. You have to keep at it. :)

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

No, it's true for many people. When they're stressed, they lose weight. However, that's not to say they're fit. They're just losing weight, that's all. They're probably losing lots of muscle as well.

16. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Being really sick with something like stomach flu is probably the best, yet most unpleasant weight loss secret ever. Even though most of what you lose is water weight, I still lost 10 pounds after having a terrible bought of it last year.

Eating healthy is a great start. Substitute a snack food with fruit and drink a lot of water.

As much as it will seem a waste, throwing out all of your fattening junk foods is the only way to make a fresh start especially if you have no will power when sweets are present. (I cannot have cookies in the house...I'm like a dog with 24 hour access to its food, I'll eat myself sick):p

17. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

i am 5-7 130.

I dont eat very healthy at all. Typical day is something like

frosted flakes in the morning, corn pops for snack

turkey samwhich and potato chips for lunch

3 peices of pizza for dinner

and maybe snack before bed. Typically cerial again.

Dude, set your goal and go for it. Remember to eat when your hungery, not when you want to. Calorie Count aswell. im not an expert on this sort of thing, but i wish you luck.

18. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

So true.

The primary way to decrease your weight over time is to reduce the calories (food) consumed so that they are less than the calories that you burn.

It's a lifestyle change. We all are on a diet. Our diet is what we eat daily. The key is to change our diets.

Exercise is for fitness. Sure it can help increase your metabolism and burn off calories through your physical activities. However, IMHO, a regular person cannot exercise themselves to weight loss. You must decrease your caloric intake.

Sometime ago, someone once told me that a cookie is roughly equal to the calories that you would burn by running a mile. So if you ate 3 cookies, you would need to run three miles to maintain your weight. For me, it put things in perspective. Do I really want that extra cookie and run another mile or just skip the cookie?

A few years ago I went back to the states for a two week vacation at my folks place. I had a blast seeing them and old friends. Everyday I ate huge home cooked meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Plus snacked through out the day. When I returned home in Japan, I weighed myself and got the shock of my life. I figured that I had gained some weight but in reality I had lost over 10 pounds during those two weeks. The reason was simple. I worked my a__ off on the farm. I was up at 0400 every morning and did physical labor most of the day.

With today's predominately sedentary lifestyles it is easy to put on weight because we do very little activity throughout the day to burn off calories. One way to change this is to integrate some sort of physical activity throughout your regular day such as walking instead of taking the car or climbing stairs instead of taking the elevator. It all adds up. :)

19. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Sushi, you bring up an excellent point that I'd like to address.

I'm overweight myself, and the points you've made are all good ones; but believe it or not, overweight people already know those things. It's not like we aren't aware that our habits are contributing to our being overweight. Your post doesn't come across at all as insensitive, but there's another side to it that you didn't mention.

Some people - I may be one of them, I don't know - have an addiction to food. That may sound totally unreasonable to someone who doesn't have such an addiction, but I believe it's real. Is it a weakness? I guess it is, in a way.

The curious thing is, I don't have any other addictions - I don't smoke, hardly drink, and don't use recreational drugs. But here's what a lot of people don't realize - a person who is addicted to alcohol, or heroin, or cocaine, definitely has their work cut out for them to break the habit. BUT - part of breaking those habits, and keeping off of those substances, is to avoid them altogether. I can't speak for others, but to me, it's really quite easy to avoid becoming addicted to drugs or alcohol - just leave them alone.

Food is an altogether different addiction, because even as you try to change your habits - rehabilitate yourself, if you will - you have to keep eating. Food is an addiction you can't quit altogether. Can you imagine telling a recovering alcoholic that they have to drink four martinis twice a week, but no more than that? Or that a heroin addict can shoot once a day, but not enough to stave off the withdrawal?

Believe me, most of us overweight people wish it were as easy as just changing our lifestyle. We know that's what needs to happen, but making it happen is much easier for some than it is for others.

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wirelessly posted (Nokia 5800 Tube XpressMusic : Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; U; Series60/5.0 Nokia5800d-1/10.0.010; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

So perhaps the fastest way to lose weight is to lose your job. You can't afford to feed your addiction with no job. And regarding what sushi said about exercise not being as effective as calorie counting, losing weight is much easier when you're fit enough to burn off more calories than an unfit person at work/school while doing essentially the same tasks. It's definitely worth it to do some cardio, as well as do pushups and situps to build muscle. It seems rather unfair that fit people lose weight easier than overweight people, but that just means calorie counting becomes less necessary, or crucial, if you exercise, as the calories burned is far easier to achieve.

21. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Im 41

22. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

23. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

If by guns you mean moobs, then this is good advice.

:p

24. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I had a flight surgeon who addressed this issue for me. At one time in my flying career I was under a bit of stress and gained some weight. So I broached this issue with him. He mentioned that food can be a form of instant gratification. So when under stress, in my case, I was eating more to give myself pleasure throughout the day.

Humans are creatures of habit. If you can change your habit for a while it becomes the norm. The big issue is getting through that transition period which isn't easy.

Completely agree.

Believe me, I've been on both sides of the issue. I understand and empathize with you regarding changing your lifestyle.

No disagreement there.

Muscles burn calories. Fat stores them. The more muscle the faster you can burn calories especially when exercising the large muscles of your body.

I'll end with this story. I have a friend who was very overweight and tall. He had trouble with his feet and knees. He knew he needed to change. So he did the following and lost over 60 pounds.

He walked to the mail room each day during lunchtime to get his mail. It was about a 2 mile round trip. In addition, he cut out soda and some of his fast food diet. If memory serves, it took him around 9-10 months to loose the 60 plus pounds.

Now he feels so much better and is much more energetic and healthy.

Like AA says, take it a day at a time. :)

25. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I'd suggest stop eating and drinking things with HFCS. I have a friend who lost 20 pounds just by not drinking soda.