Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I decided to give samsung another go and i ditched my Apple Watch series 4 for the galaxy watch and i have ordered the series 4 nike addition. As good as the galaxy watch was for certain things nothing compares to the Apple Watch and no matter what if you leave then iPhone or stop using it for whatever reason you lose more than just the phone like the Apple Watch and air pods.

Easy to forget how great of a product the Apple Watch is...maybe one of the best products apple has ever made even if people doubted this at the start.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Agreed, I just got the 4 for my wife and I, she upgraded from a series 2, I had the series 3 and sold it months ago, and I'm really happy and impressed with the 4. I never realized how much I came to rely on the watch and after selling mine I really missed it.

Reactions: The Game 161

Lee_Bo

Cancelled
Mar 26, 2017
FYI, the AirPods will pair with other Bluetooth devices, it’s not an iPhone / iPad / Apple Watch only device.

True, but IMHO it's just a log easier to connect them to different Apple devices. I have connected mine to my Winderz machine but the initial connection time seemed long.

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
I have not used a Galaxy Watch (or phone) however I do keep an eye on Android devices and think the Galaxy Watch looks interesting.

What is it you prefer the Apple Watch for?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
FYI, the AirPods will pair with other Bluetooth devices, it’s not an iPhone / iPad / Apple Watch only device.

True but won’t sync as well with non apple devices

I tried galaxy buds but it only synced like air pods with the S10 only..android tablet it would not pair

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I have not used a Galaxy Watch (or phone) however I do keep an eye on Android devices and think the Galaxy Watch looks interesting.

What is it you prefer the Apple Watch for?

Apps like music for fitness works without touching the phone and just syncs perfectly. Apps that I use are great that works with the watch like sports alerts/pocketcast/watch chat for WhatsApp just to name a few

Also Apple Pay!

My bank does not allow Samsung pay payment on the galaxy watch and Samsung devices

That’s underrated which I used a fair bit...

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
That blows chunks on possibly two accounts...

I’ve gotten a lot of enjoyment and use out of both the AirPods and Apple Watch. And it connects flawlessly to the iPad.

Agreed, i love my pro and used air pods a lot on them when watching videos etc

Galaxy buds are good though but sound quality on calls let it down but still a good Samsung comparison

My dad is getting the buds and galaxy watch so gets good use...

Luckily I’m picking up the air pods 2 and apple watch tomorrow:)

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I was very skeptical about getting an Apple Watch but now I can't imagine not having it. The ease of paying with it with Apple Pay was when I really warmed up to it.

Reactions: Complex757

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Boy have I missed this

a2f2862e0b0962969cdd735d68a409ae.jpg

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
The Apple Watch 4 is the only thing stopping me from giving the s10+ a go.

The watch and iPhone work so we’ll together

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
The tightly integrated ecosystem is why I got into Apple with the 3GS and why I can’t see myself moving away. It’s better than ever with AppleTV, HomePod and really tight HomeKit implementations. And CarPlay, though my current car doesn’t have that (and with the head unit design in my car, it would be extremely expensive to retrofit).

Having my Apple Watch (a day-1 purchase, now on S4) gives me an always-available link into that ecosystem.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

spooklog

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2015
New Hampshire
I love the Apple Watch 4's LTE capability. I frequently wear the watch and carry my iPhone, but while driving it is safe and easy to take calls or messages via the watch--it is downright dangerous to grab my phone out of my back pocket.

And of course the heart-monitoring technology is excellent. I'm one of those people who used the watch to discover I had atrial fibrillation, and my cardiology-related appointments are now ongoing.

Reactions: MisterSavage

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
The tightly integrated ecosystem is why I got into Apple with the 3GS and why I can’t see myself moving away. It’s better than ever with AppleTV, HomePod and really tight HomeKit implementations. And CarPlay, though my current car doesn’t have that (and with the head unit design in my car, it would be extremely expensive to retrofit).

Having my Apple Watch (a day-1 purchase, now on S4) gives me an always-available link into that ecosystem.
This is the reason why I also won’t leave. The ecosystem only gets stronger as time goes on. My first iPhone was the 3G. I had the 4 after it but it was stolen. Decided to try android as I wanted a big screen. I was on android for 2 years and came back to the iPhone with the iPhone 6 Plus and I’ve stayed since then. The ecosystem has only gotten better since 2014. I think this one main area that Apple has the competition beaten.

Reactions: danmart

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
I've been a watch guy for many years... I have vintage and current mechanical watches and love them... But even though they won't leave the collection, they haven't been used almost at all since I got the Apple Watch S0 back in the day.

I recently tried putting on my divers watch for a day and even though it's nice, I really quickly found out why the AW hasn't left my wrist for several years!

BSG75

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2015
Tennessee
I've been a watch guy for many years... I have vintage and current mechanical watches and love them... But even though they won't leave the collection, they haven't been used almost at all since I got the Apple Watch S0 back in the day.

I recently tried putting on my divers watch for a day and even though it's nice, I really quickly found out why the AW hasn't left my wrist for several years!

I feel the same way. While I love my mechanical/automatic watches, I find myself missing my AW when I wear them.

Reactions: xDKP

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Agree with everything you’re saying. But I’ve been actually the opposite lately, where I’m wearing my mechanical watches and the Apple Watch is in second place. Not to say that the Apple Watch is a ‘bad device’ by any means, it’s just nice to switch back to the mechanical watches and appreciate the functionality of a simple watch with an elegant band. And it’s nice to switch to a square watch or a round watch with my mechanical watches, but I guess that’s the advantage of having both a smart watch and mechanical watch, you have choices. [And I admit, I have been adding to my mechanical watch collection as of late, and appreciating different designs and casing colors.]

Reactions: xDKP and BSG75

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Agreed, I just got the 4 for my wife and I, she upgraded from a series 2, I had the series 3 and sold it months ago, and I'm really happy and impressed with the 4. I never realized how much I came to rely on the watch and after selling mine I really missed it.
I replaced my wife’s original model Apple Watch six weeks ago with a new Series 3 (on sale for $199). She loves it. Everything that frustrated her about the original one has been solved (mostly speed).

I’ve had the Series 3 LTE since they came out. Will replace it with a Series 5. Just couldn’t justify the Series 4 to myself since my 3 works so amazingly well.

Reactions: DevinNj

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
I replaced my wife’s original model Apple Watch six weeks ago with a new Series 3 (on sale for $199). She loves it. Everything that frustrated her about the original one has been solved (mostly speed).

I’ve had the Series 3 LTE since they came out. Will replace it with a Series 5. Just couldn’t justify the Series 4 to myself since my 3 works so amazingly well.

I liked the series 3, it was alright, the display size of the 4 is nice and the slightly, I say slightly because it's not tremendously louder, but none the less louder volume is an added bonus for me as well. I like it a lot more than I liked the 3.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
The timers, fast access to weather, notifications, seeing & feeling calls without hearing them are simply a wonder I can’t do without. Plus people no longer complain that I don’t answer calls or texts. It is more valuable than the phone which I absolutely hate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.