Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ibook30

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
2,000 light years from home
solvs said:
I studied art in college.

Stuff like this just makes rich people feel smarter because no one else gets it. Even though most of them don't get it until someone tells them what to think. It's supposed to mean something, but most of the time it's the same thing that's been done a million times before, since before Pollack popularized it. Nowadays it's just pretty colors for people who are bored and have more money than sense who wouldn't know art if it slapped them in the face.

I disagree - although your argument is not completely without merit. There is no one definition for art - it does this, it does that- just can't be done. Art is many things - and one facet is how it reflects the time it was made, and the time it is viewed. When this artist was working - it was still shocking to see something so simple and done on such a grand scale. It promoted discussion of what is art, what are the requirements to be dubbed "art". Today's practicing artists stand on the shoulders of giants like Frankenthaler.

A lot of the discussion here has been about aesthetics, not art. What is beautiful or appealing to an individual is not a very good standard for what is art. Frankenthaler helped prove that. Her work may not be beautiful to everyone, and it may not be complicated (I'm sure many 4 year olds could make similiar marks*) - but beauty and technical merit are not the only standards of art. They have their place - but in some work they are down played in favor of challenging the audience on another level. Nigel Warburton wrote some excellent material that helps explain this.

So - on the topic of "Is this art" and "Is it worth all that money" - everyone can and will have their own answer. Art offers that freedom. So I submit my 2 cents - It's great art. It informed decades of painters and made mankind a bolder and richer race. I find the work beautiful and pleasing.

* Yeah a lot of 4 year olds could make these marks, but could they shop the work around to galleries- show their work wherever they can for years to gain some respect, and would they be able to articulate the significance of the work in relation to contemporary and historical movements? Lot's of artists have to go through these (and others) before they sell anything - often nothing gets sold. They keep on making stuff because it means something to them. It is their way to interpret the world. Glad they keep sharing it.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
thedude110 said:
I can't believe how many folks are willing to convict abstraction as uselessness.
I didn't say it was all bad. It's just been done to death, and I just think this piece is not particularly very good. But hey, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and something is only worth what people are willing to pay for it. I'm sure there was a lot of thought and effort going into some of these pieces, but I stand by my assertion that most of it is marketing. I doubt most of the people calling it great even understand it until someone tells them what it is. Then they can feel superior to those who don't see what the big deal it.

I get it. I still don't like it. That's just my unpretentious opinion. The only reason it's worth 1.5 million is because they say it is. But I still don't think the little boy should have put gum on it.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I don't care about defining "art." I just know what I like and what I don't... and this most assuredly falls in to the latter category.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I'm not an art expert, but I know gum when I see it!

Actually, I do know a bit about art, because I took a couple of art history classes. Sometimes I like "modern art" and sometimes I don't.

We should all know that what's art and what's not art is in the eye of the beholder, so you can't make generalizations and get people to agree about them.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Doctor Q said:
We should all know that what's art and what's not art is in the eye of the beholder
So very true.

I find that some art seems to communicate with me for a lack of a better term. I look at it and can imagine. Other pieces just sit there and create no imagination.

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
GFLPraxis said:
Am I the only one that thinks this looks like a five year old's finger painting?
I really need to become an artist. Forget school, Im going to get some paint and go to work!
*Disclaimer: I love art and in no way wish to make it seem like the artists who make these finger paintings are just lazy bums or had a little too much of whatever it was that they were smoking. I'll stick with Van Gogh and Leonardo Da Vinci and Michelangelo. On the other hand, I can make a heck of a living selling "modern" art that I have made. Xserve RAID, here I come! End disclaimer*

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
:eek:

They were really taking it in the chin there for two months, too.

EDIT: I told myself I would never use that face. eesh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.