boy, was i wrong

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Fernandez21, May 29, 2011.

1. Fernandez21, May 29, 2011
    Last edited: May 29, 2011

Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Ok, I have had my ipad 2 for over a day now (bought it yesterday morning) and I have to say, im loving this thing. I was one of the naysayers, pretty much not knowing what good a giant version of my iphone would be. I even had an ipad 1 from work to use for a little. It was locked down, couldn't install any apps and because youtube was blocked most video on the internet was non accesable. The first gen. Felt big and bulky, the web browser felt slower than my iphone and I just wasn't impressed at all, and even in my head mocked how people were just going gaga over this thing.

Wow, what a difference apps make, that and the thiner profile really makes this thing shine. Everything is fast and smooth, and even though its the same resolution the screen seems better. Im really enjoying this thing and I am now part of the crowd that I used to mock. Kudos to apple and the devs and thanks to these forums that have a ton of info for me to sift through to enhance my ipad expierence.

:D

2. macrat, May 29, 2011
    Last edited: May 29, 2011

macrat macrumors regular

It will even get better as you discover apps that you really like. Even websites that I visit often on my iMac 27 I have saved them in my iPad home screen and that alone makes for a very convenient and quick access each time I open the iPad 2 when I'm away from my desktop. The best is yet to come! :D

I was like you. That's why I passed on the first iPad. I have an iPhone, Macbook, and an iMac 27 so I figured I didn't need the iPad. Wrong. I hardly use my Macbook and iPhone (only to make and receive calls) for quite a while.

3. Fernandez21 thread starter macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Same here, in the short time I have had it, I haven't used my computer since I synced it, and my iphone has only come out for multi tasking (watching video and surfing the internet at the same tine) or when my wife or son have hijacked it. Its starting to look like ill end up buying a second on too (though I will try to hold for gen 3 to make that purchase :)

4. lucyna macrumors member

5. bobright macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I can't wait have money in hand need to find one locally though

6. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

I was also a naysayer. Looking over the forums here, some of the apps started looking interesting. Hearing people rave about it's portability and awesome battery life intrigued me. My school recently moved the computer labs, making them way less accesible. Before if I wanted to check a few websites quickly between classes, I could easily pop by the lab. The move made me want something I could bring to school for such purposes bigger than my phone, and lighter than my laptop. When the iPad1s started going on clearance I couldn't resist. I must say, it's fit into my electronic life nicely and has definitely created some awes from family members who thought I was nuts buying another gadget.

7. BergerFan, May 30, 2011
    Last edited: May 30, 2011

BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I know it's not the iPad, but I too was a complete naysayer when the first iPhone was announced in 2007. I was mired in old-school thinking, having accepted the generic Nokia & Win-Mo status quo for years previously. All that changed when I held one in my hands.

It's funny, but whenever I handle a first gen iPad(we have them at work too), I just think how bulky it is, compared to my iPad 2.
    Before the iPad 2 came out, I was amazed at how thin the iPad 1 felt. :D

8. RWinOR macrumors 6502

Greenest and wettest place in North America
    My wife was also a nay sayer. She dislikes any flat screen technology. Got her an IPad. She fell in love with it, and takes it everywhere now. She reads on it, listens to music etc. Now she talks about how great it is and loves the touch interface. Once you hold one and use it for any length of time you understand the power of the device.

9. kalsta macrumors 68000

kalsta

No regrets here either! I was never sure how to justify an iPad purchase. But now that we have one, I don't need to justify it anymore because everyone in the family loves it and wants to use it. With the addition of some good apps, it really is such a fun device.

10. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I think iPad apps are still in their infancy and are just starting to "grow up" and turn the iPad into more than just a "consumption" device that "everyone" thought it would be.

Now that the App Store is past its "gold rush" phase most developers are finding that high quality niche apps really can find their place in the store.

Things like Verto Studio (3d modeling), App Cooker (app mockup/planning), iDraw/Inkpad (Vector drawing), Prompt (FTP code editor), and BudgetBook (simple financial app). There are many more niche apps but those are just a few that I have been using as an app developer myself.

I have owned the iPad since day one and my uses for it have improved greatly over time as more software has become available.

I also own a Blackberry Playbook and I do like the OS on it, but BB App World for the PB pales in comparison to the App Store. It may get better over time but every few days I check the New Apps section and there are only around 20 new apps. And there are pretty much no "killer apps" on the platform. And of course, not even the basics yet - email, calendar, contacts, Kindle (which is on everything now), Netflix (which is on all "closed" platforms) etc. Flash in the browser is nice but it does not make up for lack of native apps.

11. darkside flow macrumors 6502

I held off because I really wanted to get a device with flash on it. But with all the sites I use either moving towards HTML5 or programming their flash sites to use third party software that needs to be downloaded, there just didn't seem to be a point to hold out for that reason anymore.

Picked one up Friday and I love it. My biggest triumph was finding a work around to download and stream Icefilms movies (download remotely on desktop using GoToMyPC app and then stream to iPad using AirVideo).

But I'm most intrigued with the way devs are utilizing social media in great ways. Most notably with Flipboard, which creates a magazine out of your choice of sites as well as taps in to your Twitter and Facebook feeds. It's really interesting reading through an interactive magazine of your Facebook posts with status updates, videos, pictures, etc.

12. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

The iPad2 is delightfully light. You'll think its an iron ball when the iPad3 shows up weighing an ounce less. Whatever you do, don't buy cases for your ipads. Most will double its weight. ;)

13. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Yesterday, my Daughter asked me how to turn off the flash on my Canon SD900, I instinctvely went to the screen and began to touch it on the flash Icon to turn it off, totally forgetting the scroll wheel and select button next to the screen, She says, "uh, Dad, this isn't your iPad"!:eek:
    Yep the touch screen seems like second nature to me:cool:, I would SO love a MBA with a touch screen:eek:
    I am ruined I know, the size and weight, is what led my wife and I to the 11" MBA!
    We are minalists I guess, and loving it:cool:

14. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

I'm curious to hear more about this...

15. Fernandez21 thread starter macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I had a part time seasonal job to make extra money and they gave me an iPad to use for the job. That iPad was locked down, I couldn't connect it to my computer, only had like three preloaded apps for work. The YouTube player was also removed which really crippled safari, because if a video isn't in html5 it wasn't available at all. So no apps, no media, and a crippled safari made a lackluster iPad expierience for me.

16. shenfrey macrumors 68000

They are seriously a revolution for my whole family. My mum can't use a mouse and LOVES the Ipad. Most of us have one now and they have pretty much taken over laptops for us.

So yeah I guess it varys from person to person for me and my family at least, Ipad has changed the way we live our lives (from a technical standpoint of course)

17. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Huge revolution for myself. I used to carry my macbook air with me and I really hated it (although I love it, but not for portability). The ipad really changed how I function, not only in it's portability but just the fact that it's instant on and the battery lasts forever. I never really believed the 3rd device thing until I saw it for myself.

18. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Love playing racing games on iPad.

I carry a 17" MBP and an iPad 2 in my bag.

19. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Don't worry. In time you'll grow out if it.