Boycott 1.1.1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacToddB, Sep 28, 2007.

1. MacToddB macrumors 6502a

MacToddB

"iPhone runs OS X! Why would we want to run such a sophisticated OS on a mobile device? It's got everything we need. Multitasking, networking, power management, graphics, security, video, graphics, audio core animation... It let us create desktop class applications and networking, not the crippled stuff you find on most phones, these are real desktop applications."

-Steve Jobs' transcript from MacWorld 2007

Come on Apple. "Cripple" us with iChat. Until then, I say boycott 1.1.1.

Note that I halfheartedly suggested a lawsuit based on the above claims might get Apple to rethink their actions. But the vehement response (and closing of my thread after just one hour) showed two things...the threat of a lawsuit gets people very hot and bothered (kinda the point, so they'll settle and/or address the issue), and that the Apple defenders wouldn't go along.

So how about just boycotting 1.1.1? Apple must have an idea of how many iPhones there are, and how many actually upgrade to 1.1.1. If there is a dramatic dropoff, maybe they'd see that as an indicator? I much prefer instant messaging over being able to buy music wirelessly. It would be nice not to have to choose.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

3. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

These post make me laugh. Goodluck with your fight. :p

4. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

I think it's more the evangelical nature of these "stick it to apple" posts that annoys people..well me anyway.

Do whatever you need to do. It's your phone. Update it; don't update it. Blend it; don't blend it.

Just don't try to recruit me to your cause.

5. Tomato910 macrumors newbie

I hope there is a lawsuit. People will probably bitch at me for typing this, but there's plenty of stupid lawsuits about with people winning (coffee too hot in McDonalds, for example). When you compare it to what Apple have done, it seems like a good idea.

Forget the people who will quote me and say I'm stupid for thinking this and Apple are a great company and haven't done anything wrong ect, if you want a lawsuit, then go for it.

6. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

7. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

A lot of people like to point to this one.... did you also know it was overturned on appeal?

8. Tomato910 macrumors newbie

The point is that people start lawsuits all the time for stupid things which people laugh at. Specific example wasn't important, but since it is to you: http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Sands/7085/lawsuits/page01.htm

So basically, I hope someone does start a lawsuit against Apple.

9. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

10. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

So the point is because people create these stupid lawsuits others should?

Got to love it! :p

11. Fuchal macrumors 68020

It's not like they said 1.1.1 is the last iPhone update. You have no idea what new things will come in the future. Perhaps MWSF will see an iChat. Maybe not. No one knows!

12. MacToddB thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacToddB

Well, boycotting 1.1.1 also means NOT BUYING iTunes music from their WiFi store. And buying ringtones (since the 3rd party apps allow it). So, yes, some of the compelling reasons for Apple to want to upgrade people is to direct them to revenue generating opportunities.

13. Tomato910 macrumors newbie

Nope, just there's plenty of people here who seem to think Apple are always right. There's definitely a chance of winning a lawsuit against Apple for bricking peoples phones. I don't care what you, or what half the people on the forum thinks, no other company has ****ed up with peoples $600 phones, especially when they could've done the same thing and relocked them without ****ing them up.

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You probably should have bought a phone that supports that then. Until then, this is the image I see when all this whining is posted.

Attached Files:

15. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

I don't understand that. 1.1.1 doesn't mean you are forced to buy iTunes music from the WiFi store or buy ringtones. I just don't understand how that makes a difference.

As it stands now I don't buy music from iTunes, iTunes WiFi store, or ringtones and I updated to 1.1.1. Hummmmm.

16. MacToddB thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacToddB

Exactly my point. Noone knows. That's kind of why there is a Mac RUMORS site... Apple isn't very talkative. Fine. But if they're in a conference room discussing what should go in 1.1.x, or 2.x for that matter, I'd like to influence the decision, that's all. We're just debating how to do that.

I *DID*. It's called an iPhone with 1.0.2.

I'll take you at your word that you don't understand it. WITHOUT 1.1.1, Apple is cutting off a POTENTIAL revenue stream. 1.1.1 is required for WiFi iTunes, so if I'm at Starbucks, etc., then I can buy the song I'm hearing, etc... Also, with 1.1.1, iTunes is the ONLY way to get custom ringtones.

With 1.0.2, I have many options for ringtones (I want callers names announced, so iTunes doesn't cut it, at any price) and I don't get to buy music on-the-fly. So the original poster who said I was saving Apple money by not upgrading wasn't considering the potential revenue stream Apple hopes to gain from 1.1.1 vs. 1.0.2.

17. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

There's a big difference between something being supported and finding a way to do it.

Prior versions of the iPhone updates do not support 3rd party apps, they just don't prohibit them.

Some end users misinterpreted apathy as permission.

18. overcast macrumors 6502a

LOL @ Boycotting firmware. Seriously I return to the iPhone forums when I need a good laugh. I wish this :rolleyes: could be made larger.

19. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

How many post do you need to make tonight?? Your other whiney bitchy rant was moved to the "wasteland".

If you don't like your iPhone sell it and but something else.

20. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Apple isn't cutting off a potential revenue stream.....you are. If you wouldn't make a purchase though this medium this it doesn't matter if you have that option or not as you wouldn't use it anyway. That goes with iTunes and ringtones.

So it isn't hurting Apple by not upgrading as these features wouldn't be used.

21. MacToddB thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacToddB

I never said that. I said I'd like to be able to do both. I'd like iTunes-sanctioned celebrity ringtone voices, like Donald Trump saying "Your boss is calling...answer it or YOU'RE FIRED!". And I can see myself buying music wirelessly. BUT, if I have to choose, I'll stick with 1.0.2. And I imagine others will too. A lot of people have installed installer.app, etc. And those might have been ringtone and WiFi iTunes buyers too.

22. MacToddB thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacToddB

There's a difference between 1.0.2 and 1.1.1. It's the difference between having the ability and crippling the ability. My choice is to not cripple my iPhone. I encourage others to do the same. If Apple notices, and cares, maybe they'll take positive action. I run into many folks who notice my iPhone and ask my opinion. I would love to recommend the iPhone, as I used to. But without always-on instant messaging, a requirement where I work, I'm hard pressed to recommend it, currently, as any purchaser would get 1.1.1 most likely.

23. MacToddB thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacToddB

I also recommend boycotting Windows Vista, if that helps, or Windows XP Service Pack 2. Both tend to cripple their platform.

24. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

That's fine but why the need to proselytize?

25. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

Apple is running a business, not a daycare center. They could not care less if you leave your iTunes at two notches below current, or never install Tiger on a machine that can carry it. They put the updates and documentation on the site for you to use or not use and it's your adult choice what to do, given what they say in the docs about the reasons for the updates. So boycott away but you already put your money into the iPhone, sale of which was what you should have boycotted if you didn't want to buy WHAT WAS BEING SOLD.

I haven't installed the update myself yet but I'm not boycotting it, just didn't get A Round Tuit yet. (where hell all my round tuits anyway... hunting...)

So while you contemplate this boycott of a software update, Apple is rolling out Leopard pretty soon, very likely has another maintenance cycle for iPhone well underway, just released a raft of maint of other software etc., etc., etc. In short, they just get up and go about their business every day. Not a bad process to emulate.

As for Apple knowing how many iPhones there are, sure. They got beancounters on overtime to tally what got sold this past summer, and iPhones are just one line on the spreadsheet. And THAT's what has some people all crazed and carrying on, but they won't cop to it! That, and maybe they missed buying Apple at $13, you think?