Boyzone singer Gately dead at 33

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Queso, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Queso macrumors G4

Bit of a shock this one.

Singer Stephen Gately, who shot to fame with Irish boyband Boyzone, died last night whilst on holiday on the Balearic island of Majorca. No details as yet as to the cause, but "a friend" told a News of the World reporter that following a night out he passed away in his sleep.

Gately, who had only just finished recording the band's new album, was just 33 years old. He leaves behind his civil partner Andrew Cowles.

RIP.

2. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Yes this was a shock it came out of nowhere. I don't like boyzone and am not a pop fan (other than MJ) but its always sad when the young die.

3. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

I am suspecting something drugs related as it was just after a night out. Otherwise it is very unlikely for someone to die at such a young age.

4. MacPanda macrumors regular

Wow - I am so sad to hear this - I always had a crush on him when I was growing up, he was so cute.

You don't get much cuter than he was ... May he rest in peace ...

[​IMG]

panda

5. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wirelessly posted (Nokia 5800 Tube XpressMusic : Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; U; Series60/5.0 Nokia5800d-1/21.0.101; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

Apparently he may have died choking on his own vomit.

He must have heard the new Boyzone album.

7. savoirfaire macrumors 6502

savoirfaire

Actually, for the general population, the most common causes of death in the 25- to 45-year-old population are cancer, trauma (mostly motor vehicle accidents), heart disease, and then suicide, in that order. I don't know if anyone has ever looked specifically at people in the entertainment industry... drug-related deaths may be much more common in that subgroup.