Bracing for re-entry. (into the Mac world, that is.)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iMpathetic, Jan 9, 2010.

1. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Urgh, this seems to happen like clockwork every 8 months or so. You'd think I'd keep my computers, but nooooo....

Anyway, I'm considering getting a computer again. In May, I sold all of them to pay for my bikes, and now it's winter and it's cold and I'm without technology due to a) bad grades and b) sale of my stuff. Now that the grades are up, I have a couple options...

-- Buy a used Macbook or something... like a super crappy one. (Budget is around $500.)
    -- Build a cheap-ish Hackintosh. I can get a build with a Q6600 for around $350.
    -- Save up (grr) and build a nicer Hackintosh and get a netbook or 12" PB or something.

So, these are the options that I've thought of... I don't really DO anything on the computer besides Facebook, iTunes, etc, but I like saying that I could do something if I want to :D

Any thoughts, MR community?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Those run on Windows too, you know. If you're on a budget just get a netbook.

3. TheCook macrumors newbie

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Get a $300 Dell mini 10v and hack it to run OS X.

5. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

6. iMpathetic thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

What, netbooks? That's why God made iAtkos.
    See below...
    I've owned multiple versions of the real thing... blackbook, newer PBG4s, iMacs, minis, etc. Honestly, that's a lot of money for someone my age to raise if I just want the pretty Martha Stewart hardware.
    Will look into that. :)

EDIT: sorry if all this sounds like I'm a bitter Mac hater or something... I just have no problem with a Hackintosh and don't know if it's a good idea to go for the real thing just yet.

7. HBOC macrumors 68020

I think you answered your own questions. I mean you said you only Facebook, iTunes, etc. Why not a Dell mini. A new one is cheap, and a used one is cheaper. You wont loose that much on the value of them. A Hackintosh seems too much work for what you will be doing.

Why not an older Powerbook or something. Not like you are going to be running Logic Pro or Adobe CS4, right?

8. iMpathetic thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Hmmm...

I like building and tinkering with things, hence the proposed Hackintosh. I built one about eight months ago and I think it turned out pretty well, but I sold it and arggghhhh...

Powerbook seems like a plan. I looked into a 17" 1.67GHz for $350 on Craigslist. :D

9. Nano2k macrumors regular

I have a MSI Wind with SL on it, it's ok but if that was the only computer I had I would be pretty sad...

If money is tight, go for Hackintosh, why spend $$$ you don't have just to get a nice packaging? Even more so if you are thinking about a desktop computer.