Braeburn dock

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by tmgarvey, Nov 27, 2012.

1. tmgarvey macrumors member

I gave up waiting on shipment of the Lightning Dock, and cancelled my order.

Instead, I ordered from Braeburn Acoustics--which gives you a three-pack (three docks) for $69.95 (there is also a five-pack for $99). They are great!

One of the ones I received was defective--could not insert the Lightning Cable, but with one email to Braeburn, they are sending me another (not even requiring return of the defective unit)--customer service VERY responsive, shipment was quick, too.

The sound quality from these things is pretty amazing, given that all they do is sort of non-electronically amplify the sound with an echo-chamber type deal built into the unit.

My only real gripe is that the rubber "feet" you can insert to give the dock a slight tilt are a bit too small. If you screw them all the way down they are flush with the bottom, which pretty much defeats the purpose. You have to leave them slightly unscrewed, which leaves a tiny gap in the acrylic at the bottom (because you have to unscrew the original screws to use the feet). So some feet with a wider head would be nice.

It is a bit tricky removing the iPhone with one hand--the unit ships with an adhesive cushion you can put on the bottom, but I don't want to use that on my wooden desk or my nightstand--I think it would ruin the finish. Still, the dock is heavy, and it is possible to use only one hand to remove the phone. As I said, just a little tricky at first.

Still, for the price these are very serviceable. They are attractive, inexpensive, and provide a nice sound.

2. AFDoc macrumors 68030

3. tmgarvey thread starter macrumors member

Nice! Very attractive dock.

I'll tell you, though, I wish iHome would get on the ball. I sent them an email back in October asking if they would be providing some kind of insert/adapter that would accommodate an iPhone 5 (I have the iP51 home audio clock radio/player system). They said they would be, but gave no indication when that might be. I would love to be able to play my iPhone 5 while it is charging in the dock--one drawback to the headphone connector on the bottom where the charging port is. If it were on the top, at least I could use a patch cord while it is charging in the dock, but as it is, I can play it while charging only if I leave it off the dock. Aggravating.