MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Wireless headphone company Bragi today announced an incoming update to its flagship Bluetooth device, The Dash, which will bring with it an all-new way for users to interact with Bragi's "Kinetic User Interface." Coming November 21, Bragi OS 2.2 will introduce users to a beta of "MyTap," which lets them control the headphones through tap-based gestures placed directly on their cheek and not on The Dash itself.

KUI will also bring about gestures like nodding to accept a phone call from a smartphone connected to The Dash, activating Siri with the tap of a cheek, and even various music playback controls. When it begins rolling out on November 21, KUI will only encompass voice assistant controls (for Siri and Google Now), and the other gestures will arrive in future firmware updates.

bragi-my-tap-2-800x488.jpg
"The Dash was envisioned as a platform offering a lot of hardware capabilities, but not all of this hardware was used from the beginning. Over time, we can let the software grow and enable more features." - David Dohmen, Sensorics & Data Science at Bragi

"You are way more accurate tapping your own cheek than an external device. That makes it easier to hit it during activities like cycling or running." - David Dohmen, Sensorics & Data Science at Bragi
Other parts of the update include "Windshield," which Bragi says will improve listening quality and audio transparency in gusty conditions, improved voice quality during phone calls and heart rate measurements, and upgraded Bluetooth capabilities. Previously, OS 2.1 introduced new languages support, "Touch Lock," and integration with Apple HealthKit.

The Dash and The Headphone (Bragi's entry-level Bluetooth headset) have been compared to Apple's upcoming AirPods frequently, enough for Bragi to create a comparison chart between the three devices following Apple's announcement of the AirPods in September. The Dash's premium $299 price tag and high-end activity tracking features are more difficult to compare with the AirPods, which fall in line slightly more with The Headphone. However, only The Dash can receive Bragi's OS updates.

Previous Coverage - Bragi Dash Impressions: Wireless Earphones Offer Enough Quality Features to Counter Small Battery

Article Link: Bragi Unveils 'MyTap' Update to Control Headphones Through Gestures on the Cheek

RowellE

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
Amazing! Next level sh*t! Enticed to buy one of these now instead of the fugly AirPods.

Reactions: Ghost31
Comment

PastFuture

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2013
Germany
If this works reliably, they might be on to something. I can see, how tapping your cheekbone would actually be much easier than aiming for a tiny thing in your ear.

Reactions: thisisnotmyname
Comment

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Seriously why not just use the earbud to control? I bet they spent a lot of money on this. Yes it's pretty clever but I don't see the point.

Reactions: mkeeley
Comment

maxxodd

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
Excited about this. I have been very pleasantly surprised by how darn good Bragis are. I wish the range were a little better (phone to right earpiece), but I nearly never have any problems with the music dropping.
[doublepost=1478101833][/doublepost]
Seriously why not just use the earbud to control? I bet they spent a lot of money on this. Yes it's pretty clever but I don't see the point.

The earbud already has controls. On the right one, one tap play/pause, two taps rewind, three taps fast forward, slide your finger forward on it to increase volume, backwards to decrease, etc. The left ear has other controls for activities. This is to add additional functionality. Also, the article seems to imply that they are adding gesture controls like shaking your head yes to answer a call when it is ringing or no to route it to voicemail. This functionality is already incorporated as of the last firmware update a few months or more ago.

Comment

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
So tempted to try the Dash. Really intrigued by them being swim-proof and ability to load music locally onto them.

Comment

TJC PE

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2012
I have a pair of Bragi Dash I've had them since first availability. I have been really pleased with the build quality and the functionality keeps getting better with each software update - and there have been several - not just minor tweaks or bug fixes, but added and improved features. I swim with them every day and listen to stored playlists without trouble.
I thought Apple would buy the company, or then I thought Apple would look at the Bragi and deliver an even better product.

Not only has Apple not delivered anything, the design and feature specs of the AirPods are sorely lacking.
Yes the Bragi Dash are $300. almost twice the price of the AirPods - but they are available and they work great.

Swimming is a great feature that Apple is not addressing in their first iteration.
I also feel much more comfortable walking around, working at a desk, or running with the Bragi than I would with the two AirPod straws hanging down from my ears. Just compare pictures side by side - which would you rather?

Reactions: RowellE
Comment

Nozuka

macrumors 68030
Jul 3, 2012
lol at the pictures.... with the middle finger? seriously?

edit: ah it's 2 fingers... the picture is misleading

Reactions: ck2875
Comment

clight3521

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2010
so far i've been pleasantly surprised (given negative reviews) with my Dash, though a BIG miss is lack of audio streaming from apple watch, so i hope the "upgraded bluetooth capabilities" mentioned address this. yes, you can load music to the Dash itself, but it's not as clean an interface, nor with the granular controls/functionality, as streaming from the AW2.

also, this is not mentioned in any of Bragi's comparisons to AirPods...it claims iOS compatibility, but makes no mention of watchOS compatibility - it's now obvious why. again, hopefully they fix this with 2.2.

Comment

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
Same here. Was waiting for the Airpods. I'm considering these. But that price tag though.

Yup, my thoughts as well. Going to try the AirPods first. I think I'll likely stick with them for now too. Almost half the price, and I plan on using them with multiple devices, so the seamless switching is highly desirable for me right now.

Comment

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Yup, my thoughts as well. Going to try the AirPods first. I think I'll likely stick with them for now too. Almost half the price, and I plan on using them with multiple devices, so the seamless switching is highly desirable for me right now.

January feels like its forever away for the Airpods. I'm still hoping a release before the holidays are in full swing. And Similar to how well the Apple Watch communicates with the iPhone, the Airpods will likely be seamless.

Comment

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
January feels like its forever away for the Airpods. I'm still hoping a release before the holidays are in full swing. And Similar to how well the Apple Watch communicates with the iPhone, the Airpods will likely be seamless.

After the rumour about the january launch, AppleInsider said they got some inside info saying there's no way they're going to ship that late. I guess it does make sense too - AirPods could be huge for holiday shopping / gifting.

Comment

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
After the rumour about the january launch, AppleInsider said they got some inside info saying there's no way they're going to ship that late. I guess it does make sense too - AirPods could be huge for holiday shopping / gifting.

I don't see Apple releasing them in January either. I mean, we're talking three full months out until they release, if the rumor was true. That would only indicate some fault was found during production or some other major issue to be delayed that long. Apple
Is fully aware these were a sequence to launch with the iPhone, especially when deleting the 3.5 Jack.

And missing the holiday mark on these would not be a good thing. Even if it was a January launch, they would still sell strong. But consumers are ready to spend money from now until Christmas.

Reactions: profets
Comment

inajeep

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2008
Already have that in my abandoned by Jawbone ERA bluetooth ear piece. Double tap to hang up or answer.

However, their Noise canceling portion of the ERA which worked well was removed before they stopped supporting it and then quit making bluetooth devices.

I'm bitter.

Comment

supertomtom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
so far i've been pleasantly surprised (given negative reviews) with my Dash, though a BIG miss is lack of audio streaming from apple watch, so i hope the "upgraded bluetooth capabilities" mentioned address this. yes, you can load music to the Dash itself, but it's not as clean an interface, nor with the granular controls/functionality, as streaming from the AW2.

also, this is not mentioned in any of Bragi's comparisons to AirPods...it claims iOS compatibility, but makes no mention of watchOS compatibility - it's now obvious why. again, hopefully they fix this with 2.2.

I was so annoyed by the removal of Apple Watch compatibility when they updated to 2.0 as that's what I used to use at the gym. They emailed me saying it'll be back in 2.1 but still nothing...here's hoping 2.2 will fix that.

Apart from that I love the Dash. :)

Comment

Shawn Parr

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2008
looking like they have nervous ticks, and talking to themselves while walking around?

But hey, if I'm going to be walking around while talking to myself, and my nervous ticks have already come out, I may as well as get some phone/music control going too, right?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.