Braid

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by dubs, Aug 13, 2008.

1. dubs macrumors member

Has anyone played this XBLA game yet? Yea its $15, but it's an amazing puzzle game. Those of you who have, what are your thoughts?

I just beat the game today, and it's absolutely beautiful, the last World is amazing, and the overall story seems a bit convoluted at first but after some deciphering it's really interesting. Not to mention that many of the puzzles are rather difficult.

Really interesting, I would recommend that everyone try the demo at least.

2. 4fingered macrumors member

I played the demo and I really like it. How long did it take for you to get through it? $15 seems like a bit much for how short it seems. is there any replay value a la time trial mode or anything?

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Fired up the old 360 on Sunday and downloaded the demo...its entertaining for a bit. The music was top notch but the second world had me scratching my head....I wouldn't pay $15.00 for it...hopefully they'll drop the price.

The music is just beautiful even in rewind.

Bless

4. dubs thread starter macrumors member

Took me bout 4-5 hours. Over several sittings. Some of the puzzles I just gave up on and came back to a few days later. There is an achievement for beating the game in under an hour I think, as well as individual level speed runs. If you do buy it, do yourself a favor and don't look up any cheat videos or anything as it makes it much more fun trying to solve it on your own.

Just think of it as buying two movie tickets, but for this you'll actually have to use your brain.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

After playing better indie platformers for less I'd find it very hard paying for the full version of this. Also not much a fan of the art, much prefer Derek's art for Aquaria (easier on the eye for me).

I'll be skipping this until it's $5. Especially when it's $15 for something with no replay value.

6. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Brilliant game. Like Shadow of the Colossus, the value is in the quality of the experience and the emotional impact of the story, not the length or replayability of the game.

7. macguy42 macrumors newbie

8. pcypert macrumors 6502

The art style for this game is incredible. Very well done.

Who cares how long any game is. I still regularly play Super Mario 1 and can beat that in less than 10 minutes, Contra and can beat that in 14, and Portal in under an hour. Good games are good games regardless of length.

There's just something nice about a game you can pick up and blow through mindlessly after a few times. Some do it with RE I like to do it with platformers.

Paul

9. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

THAT. People nowadays seem too focused on length and replayability as the determining factors of a game´s value when there´s much more to consider, like uniqueness, quality of the experience and emotional/artistic appeal.

Braid is definitely worth $15, it´s short but it´s awesome, kind of like Portal.

10. pcypert macrumors 6502

I've yet to play Resident Evil 5 (sitting wrapped up still from two months ago purchase) mostly because of this game. I love it. Easily the best I've played all year. Maybe I'm a short game guy...this and Portal have been the best I've played in years...

Paul