Brain dead due to iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Ksizzle9, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

So, I do a lot of rooting(androids), jailbreaking(obviously idevices) for a local cell shop. Mostly software work in general. Yesterday my guy brought me a iPhone 3G, on 4.0, with a unlock able baseband. When I got home I noticed wifi was grated out. Basically I need the Internet to DL ultrasn0w in Cydia, but neither of us have access to a AT&T sim card ATM. So, I restored to EVERY ingle firmware that I could DL, I think I went back to 2.x maybe lower... I mean literally 10 or more firmwares, even upgraded to 4.2.1 with pwnage tool or whichever one preserves BB(I can't remember, I've tried so many things)...

My problem is this, in settings, where wifi would usually be, it just says no wifi, and is grated out. if you go deeper into settings into about, under wifi address it says N/A. I've googled the ever loving **** out of this. It seems to be very common issue with the iPhone 3G. I've also searched the **** out of these forums for a answer. So my question is this:

Does anyone no of an actual fix? Lots of apple support forums claim its a hardware failure, but I've seen it before when upgrading a 3G past iOS 3, basically 4 or above. But it always managed to basically fix itself after multiple restores or a reboot or evn a hard reset. I'm just totally stumped on this, I've read some stuff that says the only fix is to restore back to 1.xx but I don't think I can even do it on the 3G, even if I cud an itmfixed the problem, no one would buy the phone as the older versions are missing so many features ppl expect. Stumped, sorry for rambling on.

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

While it could be something else, i am afraid you already know what it is, It is a hardware failure, the Wifi Driver is no being loaded since the Bootroom is not able to detect the chip. When you seen it on and off it seen to be due to the Wifi chip basically going bad and doing it last signs of life. I read from some technicians that the power scheme use on that design is pretty bad and make those chip to quit working.

3. Ksizzle9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

While I'm certainly NOT calling u a liar, that is one thing I think it isn't. I've seen so many 3G iPhones get the grayed out wifi when upgrading past 3.1.3 it isn't funny, I can think of prolly 10 or more with ease. I truly believe that something in the 4.0 and up firmware caused some sort of driver corruption, it would be working fine 20 minutes before on 3.x, them done for good on anything past 4.0. I was just wondering if a solution was ever found. If u ever google that u will find I'm not the only one who thinks that.

4. outz macrumors 6502

i found this:

http://modmyi.com/forums/general-ip...yed-out-wifi-bluetooth-no-modem-firmware.html

5. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

It had been on Apple forums for a while, it is a hardware failure. but good luck to you finding a software fix.