Brain transplant

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by misc, May 6, 2012.

1. misc macrumors newbie

I have a factory unlocked GSM iPhone 4S. My dad has my old iPhone 4, locked to AT&T. Both are currently jailbroken. My dad is going abroad later this week, and he needs an unlocked phone. I was just in the process of backing everything up on both phones, planning to then wipe and rejailbreak them, and restore them with each other's settings (using AppBackup and PkgBackup). But it just occurred to me - there's no 4S jailbreak for 5.1, and iirc the SHSH blobs don't work for restoring to 5.0.1. So if I reset my 4S, I'll be stuck without a jailbreak until an A5 5.1 jailbreak comes out, right? Do my dad and I have any recourse, other than paying AT&T an early termination fee and getting them to officially unlock the iPhone 4?

2. terraphantm, May 6, 2012
    Last edited: May 6, 2012

terraphantm macrumors 68040

Try just asking for an unlock. Perhaps use a line that is not associated with that phone. I got my on-contract 4S unlocked, as well as an on-contract 4.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can call up AT&T and ask them to unlock the i4 cause you'll be traveling abroad.
    They did if for a lot of people even though you're still under contract.
    You just gotta get the right rep that's willing to help.

4. misc thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting. I tried already and the rep said her hands were tied by policy. You don't think they'll have a record of that rejection - that I can just keep calling and eventually someone will say yes? That would be perfect.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I doubt it, dont give up though.
    Many people got their iphones and even iphone 4S unlocked even though they're still under contract.

6. misc thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not clear what you're saying. There's only one line on the AT&T plan. (The other phone is using StraightTalk.) Do you mean I should get another line? Call AT&T support from a different phone? And I assume the last sentence was a typo, but could you clarify what you meant there too? Hope the string of questions doesn't come off brusque - I'm just confused, but I really appreciate your help.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, he thought you had another AT&T line.
    Or have someone you know that has AT&T call them up and try to unlock it. Tell them you bought it used and off contract.

8. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

How? I couldn't even get a used 3GS unlocked because it was associated with a line that was still in contract.

9. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Can't really say I did anything special. I just asked nicely

10. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

Guess you got a nicer person. I was very nice. It was an old 3GS i bought off CL. She said it couldn't be unlocked until 2013! lol

11. JZTech101 macrumors member

JZTech101

Unlock Without AT&T or Jailbreak

http://www.unlockaniphone.org/ This is fully working on any and all iDevices. Both me and my friends have used this.

EDIT: Make sure you use IMEI Unlock. The other one may or may not work. People have been having issues with it. Though IMEI has worked for all devices that me and my friends have had.