Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jalpert

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
Has anyone downloaded Mindwave yet?

http://appshopper.com/link/mindwave

It uses tones at certain frequencies to either make you sleep deeper, or be more aware, depending on what types of tones you listen to. This program has 10 presets and promises more monthly and is very reasonably priced.

Has anyone checked this out yet? Anyone give it a try? Any reviews, I'm interested but would like the opinion of someone who already took the plunge. Thanks.

JamesFoote

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2008
I might buy it, but I'm worried it's just going to be a complete fake.

I'll wait for some positive reviews :)

Macjames

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
Yorkshire, England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

sounds an interesting concept but I'll wait for a review too.

jalpert

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
I might buy it, but I'm worried it's just going to be a complete fake.

I'll wait for some positive reviews :)

The concept is certainly not fake. Anyone who has ever used cool edit pro is familiar with this as they had the ability to insert these tones. Honestly, even the wikipedia page of the subject had a couple of tones. I'd be willing to be bet that this program works pretty well, just because the author would have to be completely incompetent to botch it, it's an easy concept.

I'm going to buy it once I have some time to relax and use it, so it's gunna be a while :)

jalpert

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
Just an update on this app. The very few reviews that are out there seem good. There is a bug I guess where the looping audio doesn't tie together well and it can be distracting.

I contacted the author and he states that the bug has been fixed ETA 4 days to the iTunes store, it has been submitted. Besides that bug that will be fixed, this looks like a top notch app and I will probably give it a try.

Lightbrazer

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2008
I own it, it works. I love it. I seriously was a skeptic till I tried the deep meditation then the sleep induction and found myself falling asleep I looked up and it was only 9:00pm a full TWO HOURS before my normal bed time. I was shocked. Then my friend had a headache I let him listen without telling him what it was. He gets up 5 minutes later and says wow, what was that my headache is completely gone, that was the kicker for me as I didn't even tell him what it was so there was no chance at a placebo effect.

ViPa

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2007
^that sounds like an advertisement lol

ill need to read more reviews before i pull the trigger on this one

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I own it, it works. I love it. I seriously was a skeptic till I tried the deep meditation then the sleep induction and found myself falling asleep I looked up and it was only 9:00pm a full TWO HOURS before my normal bed time. I was shocked. Then my friend had a headache I let him listen without telling him what it was. He gets up 5 minutes later and says wow, what was that my headache is completely gone, that was the kicker for me as I didn't even tell him what it was so there was no chance at a placebo effect.

I'm sorry, that anecdote is not exactly scientific. Where is the control music? As we see above, reviews are not likely going to give us any useful information. Mind as well just buy it and you can at least use it as a placebo effect.

But, I do wonder if there is any scientific or objective evidence for the use of this, and I mean in a legit peer-reviewed scientific medical journal, not wiki. Then, even if these sounds are effective, does this program actually contain them. Sort of like asking, St John's Wort treats depression, but does Brand X actually contain St. John's Wort?

ViPa

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2007
being the impulsive buyer that i am, i went ahead and bought the app..ill report back with results soon..and if i fall asleep because of this thing..ill report back with a review tomorrow!

vandy1997

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2007
I'm sorry, but I think that I'm going to need a shovel and high boots to shovel all of the bullcrud in this thread!

I may be a major skeptic, but I have a strong belief that some soothing classical music will help you fall asleep as well as this app.

I'm looking forward to some feedback from others who have purchased it. I would download it if it were free; otherwise, I'll stick with the classical music.

ViPa

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2007
so ive been using it for about 45 minutes now..sifting through the different tones..they definitely do SOMETHING..im not exactly sure what..but they all have some sort of effect..i think i need to use just one and see how i feel afterwards..i kept switching them

i definitely think its worth it for a $1.99

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
The THEORY of binaural beats is certainly cool and is touched upon in the above article. No one doubts that BBs exist and can be evoked by certain varying sound frequencies. But, the clinical significance of them is still cloudy at best. The above article explains that certain BBs may be used to define certain disease states. That would be very cool.

But, to state and sell a product that claims induced BBs will lead to better concentration, creativity, weight loss(!!!), etc.. is a bit much and amounts to pure snake oil.

edrex

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2008
But, to state and sell a product that claims induced BBs will lead to better concentration, creativity, weight loss(!!!), etc.. is a bit much and amounts to pure snake oil.
Do you have a peer-reviewed scientific medical journal that can back up your theory?:)

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
I tested this last night... I had the invoke sleep thing on for about 30 minutes... took it off then went literally right to sleep.

The only problem is where the sound repeats, there is an annoying hitch. Apparently its being fixed though. Ill try this the next few nights and see if it continues, but last night was very good :D

reliantj

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2008
ehhh i'm downloading it right now. i'll just get the free version.
is it all theory or fact?
i'm a skeptic.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Do you have a peer-reviewed scientific medical journal that can back up your theory?:)

I'm a physician. This is not a theory and like any other doctor out there, I only practice evidence-based medicine. And until something has a body of evidence, as most physicians would agree, it doesn't have any clinical merit. Although, this program certainly could be used as a source of entertainment, as the messages in fortune cookies are.

Expecting BBs to cause weight loss is over-the-top. That developer should be slapping an FDA disclaimer on this statement if he knew what was good for him.

As for having a computer program try to alter your brain waves, is this really a good thing? Sleep serves a vital physiologic function in our lives. It is a very active time for our body to restore, relieve stress, form our memories, governs proper growth (growth hormone is mostly released when we are sleeping), and countless other functions we really don't know about. Sleep is a very ordered process that is defined by very specific sequential stages. When these stages, or time within these stages, are altered, sleep disorders occur. For the sake of healthy memory formation and restful sleep, I would not want a program to curtail or shorten my REM sleep, for example.

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
I'm the lightest sleeper (unfortunately) and I feel that this application did help me fall asleep quicker.

Now I'm gonna try the focus and memory ones and I'll get back to you with my anatomy test score...:p:p

edrex

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2008
this program certainly could be used as a source of entertainment, as the messages in fortune cookies are.
But I did find happiness in a new love!!

Was just joking about the peer-reviewed journal thing, but you bring up some interesting points. I ended up getting this program just to check it out. Haven't had much chance to use it yet, altough I did find the couple tracks that I listened to were pretty relaxing in kind of a weird way. Better than other ambient noise tracks I have heard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.