Brake Pads

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by phas3, Jul 29, 2012.

1. phas3 macrumors 65816

I was getting an oil change and they said that my front pads were at 10% about how many more miles can I drive it?

Also they quote me 165 for both pads and rotors, is that a fair price? It's 96 toyotA camry

2. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

they should of told you approx how many miles you can get on them. go to discount tires, they are great with customer service and will give you free advice.

i think that is a fair price as well.

source: just went thru this.

3. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

I thought that I could just replace the pads? If so what's the going rate for a pair of front pads?

I wanted to wait until next payday which is about two weeks. And do some research on how much it costs.

I'm not a very aggressive driver so I don't slam on the breaks. However, I do drive about 80-90 miles a day five days a week and 95% of that is on the freeway.

4. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Be safe and have new pads put in now. You can have your rotors checked for warp, but its likely they will be ok and won't need replacement. Just replaced pads on my 2000 acura tl an didn't replace or surface rotors and brakes are like new. Don't skimp on pads, get ceramic stock pads minimum (racing pads aren't really necessary unless you really overwork your brakes).

5. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

You should be a bit more careful now that you're at 10% (which is quite low).
    But since you're driving mostly on the freeway, the only thing you have to do is stop accelerating ahead of him to minimize your braking until your next pay day. Stay safe.

6. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

The pads them self are usually under $50 dollars...
    Rotors are a bit more. So doing rotors+ pads with install that is not a bad price.

Brake pads are also really easy to do on a car...
    All you need is a jack and a ratchet with 21mm for the lug nuts and probably 14mm or 12mm socket for the calliper ...Maybe a C-Clamp as well.. Oh and 30 minutes of your time.

The rotor is also fairly easy at this point. Just take off the 2 bolts (or nuts) on the back of the calliper bracket. Remove the bracket and the rotor should be able to wiggle off........... Of course since it is a 96, it is seized on.. So you may need to hammer on it a bit.

7. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

A few months ago I put on new pads myself for the first time ever. It helped that I had a friend who knew what he was doing to help me out. You can get your basic pads at an auto parts store for $30 to $50. If you go with ceramic they will last longer. Depending on usage, you can also have your rotors "turned" instead of replacing them.

8. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

why is it that I need rotors to?

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

If I had to guess your rotors were not replaced last time the pads were done and rotors generally last threw 2 sets of pads before they have been worn down 2 thin to be turned.

As for the price that really does not sound to bad. Doing the breaks yourself is not a hard job. Messy but not a hard job to do.

Honestly I think you will be fine to go 2 more weeks. Hell I tend to let my pads go until the squealers hit. For me my pads last around 55-60k miles.

If you do it yourself do get the cheap pads form the autoparts store. Your car is old and honestly I do not see it lasting threw the next set of pads any how (60-70k more miles)