iPad Branch New at Apple store or Open Box at Bestbuy?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mytwomiracles, Mar 7, 2013.

1. mytwomiracles, Mar 7, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2013

mytwomiracles macrumors newbie

The local Apple store in my area agrees to match the $40 off from Microcenter so I can buy the iPad 4 32GB Wifi for $559.

The local Best Buy has an open box iPad 4 32GB Wifi for $479.

Which one should I buy? It's $80 difference.

Does anybody have any experience to buy open box iPad at Best Buy?

Thank you in advance.

2. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Go for Best Buy deal. I have purchased several big ticket open box items from Best Buy over the years and have never had a problem with any of them. Look it over carefully to make sure it looks okay. So save the money. I would suggest putting Applecare on it. That way if there is a problem you will be covered.

3. studmule macrumors regular

I got a great deal on my iPad 3 when I got it open box at best buy, and it was in perfect condition. I'd go with that. If you have problems, you can always return it and get a new one from microcenter.

4. gmikesell macrumors regular

I bought my first MacBook laptop (cMBP 15") as an open box from best buy. Saved myself about $500 ($1332.00) and its nothing but awesome all day! My only complaint about buying open box from Best Buy is that depending on how long its been sitting on the shelf since it was first registered, you may loose some warranty. In my case, I lost about 2 months, leaving me with only 30 days of phone support vs. the 90 that normally come with a new device. I haven't needed to make any calls though so that's a non issue. As for the shortened 12 month warranty, again, no big deal considering the savings I received. If needed, I could spring for Apple Care for even more support coverage. I did try calling Apple to see if I could get them to roll the date back but that just wasn't going to happen. Oh well, I got a great deal and that's what I really wanted. I'm happy with my open box purchase.

5. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

I just purchased an open box iPhone 5 at Best Buy, and the phone has absolutely no flaws whatsoever! It's perfect in every way, and when I combined it with the $50 gift card they were offering earlier this year with phone upgrades, I got myself a perfect 32GB iPhone 5 for $200 :)

6. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

My rMBP was a Best Buy open box. It's flawless, works fine, and I saved a bunch. As stated above, you can return the iPad if you're not 100% satisfied.

7. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

I've had very good luck with apple products bought open box at Best Buy. The 1 year complimentary warranty from Apple makes the choice easy if you have problems and don't return the item to Best Buy.

Recent Best Buy open Box buys:

iPad 3: July 2012, $629.99 instead of $699.99 for a 64gb
    iPhone 5: November, 2012, $199.99 instead of $399.99 for 64gb
    rMBP 15": January 2013, $1524.99 instead of $2199.99 for base model

Each item was like new and any issues I've had I went straight to Apple (have had the iPad 3 and iPhone 5 replaced due to some issues, but nothing relating to them being issues due to open box items).

8. mytwomiracles, Mar 8, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013

mytwomiracles thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone very much for the information. I will go to Best Buy after work today. Hope that the iPad is still there.

Please let me know how to check warranty date. Thank you.

9. Firesign3394 macrumors regular

You still gets full warranty with the open box products. You simply need to send apple a copy of the sales receipt with some device information and they will adjust the warranty accordingly. I have had it done on an ipad and MacBook Pro I purchased open item.

10. RWil85 macrumors 6502

I'm assuming if you buy an open box iphone through best buy you have to have an upgrade available to receive the subsidized pricing?or is it considered off contract?