Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What brand name do you prefer?

• Kidbitz

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keystone Hobby

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

brand-names

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2020
I reviewed this forum and saw that there were some similar discussions regarding company naming in the past. I am creating a brand of building blocks that are similar to LEGO (but different). The blocks will be primarily marketed to adults.

I have 2 brand name options and was hoping for some feedback:

Option #1 is "Kidbitz"

Option #2 is "Keystone Hobby"

I like "Kidbitz" because it is original and unique. The name is also relatively short. I have 2 concerns:

A) The name contains "kid", when you see the brand name will you automatically associate it with kids?

B) Does it seem easy enough to pronounce? Pronounced Kid-Bits.

"Keystone Hobby" is good but it is long and isn't the most original.

The brand name primarily applies to the U.S. but all feedback is welcome.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
My initial reaction is neither of the names work very well. Could you tell us more about what makes this product unique or something about you as its creator?

brand-names

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2020
My initial reaction is neither of the names work very well. Could you tell us more about what makes this product unique or something about you as its creator?

It's difficult without giving away the key details but it is basically a unique building toy that is going to be marketed to adults. I want a brand name that is short, original, and easy to pronounce. Could you provide more detail on why you don't think either name works well? Thanks.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I want a brand name that is short, original, and easy to pronounce.

So do all marketing teams everywhere in the universe.

Could you provide more detail on why you don't think either name works well? Thanks.

Neither name makes me wants to know more about the product. In essence you're conducting an online new product name focus group here. For a toy that will be marketed to adults, you might want to consider a name that's quite silly or goofy. If the name makes me laugh, I might want to try the toy.

nfable

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2007
Dump any idea of using kid in the name. That like naming something pizzapieces and it has nothing to do with food. Is confusing. Keystone Hobby is intriguing, but makes me think of Sherlock Holmesian gaming for some reason (and beer). Without knowing how one interacts with the blocks, advice will be limited.

You say adults, but what age range? Is it a solo play thing or a party thing? What other passtimes / games would your target audience enjoy. And yeah: is it trying to be silly / wacky like hangman or is this a serious thing like suduko.

BLOCKZA

You can try this nifty brand name generator too: https://namelix.com/app/?keywords=build+block+toy

brand-names

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2020
Thank you for your feedback. I agree.

Thinking about it more I came up with 2 new possible names:

1) 8-brick
2) 8-block

Because the building blocks will be used to create 8-bit style pixel art I think these names have some potential.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
How about a play on that idea with Brickate? I see that Blockate is used on Roblox.

tsd

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2007
Pennsylvania
Quick bit of free association…
Ermahblerk
Blerx
Blerks
Block Blockers
Block Me
Bricked
Brick’d
Brickeded
Ded

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.