Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MakeTheMostOfLife

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2018
I have the latest update patch.

I have been running a few goes on Cinebench, not consecutively and been getting pretty poor results. The last one I tried to shut other apps that might be stealing CPU in the background via activity monitor, in case it was something there and the best I could get was 986.

How are people here getting over 1000 or close to 1100?

The only other factor is ambient room temp. I live in the tropics and evening room temp is around 25 degrees C when I just ran the last test.

Is there a procedure I need to do before I bench a laptop?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-04 at 20.11.47.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-04 at 20.11.47.png
    861.9 KB · Views: 341

CreeptoLoser

Suspended
Jul 28, 2018
Birmingham, Alabama
I have the latest update patch.

I have been running a few goes on Cinebench, not consecutively and been getting pretty poor results. The last one I tried to shut other apps that might be stealing CPU in the background via activity monitor, in case it was something there and the best I could get was 986.

How are people here getting over 1000 or close to 1100?

The only other factor is ambient room temp. I live in the tropics and evening room temp is around 25 degrees C when I just ran the last test.

Is there a procedure I need to do before I bench a laptop?

That’s a high ambient temperature for evening and humidity also creates a problem with heat removal. I lived in the tropics when I used the first ever MacBook Pro and the room temperature was such a big problem.

You need AC on and a desk fan blowing over the machine.

fate0311

Suspended
Dec 31, 2015
Thats not exactly a ridiculous temperature.

70's should not be considered too hot for a laptop to run with some decency. 77 or not.
[doublepost=1533387178][/doublepost]The i9 can eat my ass. It is such a failure (combined with the MBP chassis) and that is coming from someone typing on an i9.

MakeTheMostOfLife

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2018
Oh heck. What did I start!! Thanks for the replies though :)

I don't have AC at my place yet, but I'll take it to a friends place to see if it makes any difference. I feel like the ambient room temp shouldn't make that big a difference though. I also tried it again with Macs fan control and ran them to max for the bench and still under 1000

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Trolle

macrumors member
May 24, 2016
I'd say if you have to use AC for your laptop to work properly, it's complete ********. Take it back.

Reactions: M.Rizk

chars1ub0w

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2017
Here, there and over there
Not to hijack your thread, but I also have a brand new i9 MBP 32GB RAM but with 2TB SSD. I am very disappointed in its performance compared to my Dell XPS 15 9570, also with 32GB RAM and the same i9 processor, but 1T SSD. I have installed the supplemental update. Mine seems to hover at around 29W with the Intel Power Gadget 3.5.3.

Cervontez

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2018
Something isn't right. I haven't seen a score that low post patch. That patch did install, right? Best score I had was 1090. i9 32gig.

You may have something else going on.

MakeTheMostOfLife

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2018
I discovered what the variable was. I needed to run the benchmark either on battery or when the charge is 100%.

When the battery is anything other than 100% and it's charging while the benchmark is running, it was for me generating a much lower score.

Been doing 24 straight batch handbrake video converting, and it shows on this as well.

Low battery and charging (after a power cut), the CPU was running around 2.2-2.5 As soon as reached 100% charge again it runs a steady 3.1

I guess the heat from charging the battery throttles the system down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.