Brand new 15"MBP has no sound

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chrisandersen, Jul 25, 2009.

1. chrisandersen macrumors 6502

chrisandersen

Upon startup, the internal speaker do their chime thing, but afterwards there is no sound. The place on the status bar when the volume controls are supposed to be is blank, the F10, 11, 12 keys show a mute, the sound preferences show no output (grab attached).
    I have searched forum and the there is no red light from headphone jack, pugging in headphones did not change.
    Again, this is a brand new machine that I used my SuperDuper back-up to reload. My previous laptop was 15" Macbookpro '10/2008 model. Other than this issue, all went well with the transition to the new machine.
    If it is a hardware issue, why do they work on start-up? thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

2. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Super duper cloning = No sound

You did not clone your drive I hope? Cloning with super duper gives you no sound. This has been reported by MANY. DONT use super duper to clone your drive to this version of Macbook Pro. No sound is the result. Try a reinstall for repair or just do a full clean install. either new sound drive is needed or super duper has a bug.

3. chrisandersen thread starter macrumors 6502

chrisandersen

Argggggggh
    If it is not connected, then why would I get the sound on start-up? Thought it must be a software problem (driver thing) when I restored from backup?

4. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

5. p3ncil macrumors regular

Oh if you cloned... try installing the OS from scratch :)

6. eli8527 macrumors newbie

eli8527

i had the same problem when I swapped hard drives with an old MBP with the new one. What I figured was that the hardware was not the same, and you needed new drivers that came with the MBP install disk. So what I did was I backed up all my files to Time Machine, then reinstalled OS X using the provided Install CD. It works fine now! Hope that helps!!

7. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

8. mls64 macrumors member

I had the same problem after migrating from my other Mac to my 13" MBP. Tried everything, including extracting the audio kexts from the install disk as described elsewhere on the forum, to no avail. Had to do a reinstall from the OSX disk to fix it.

9. chrisandersen thread starter macrumors 6502

chrisandersen

Ok, not good news, but better than sending it back in. So, my Saturday is like this:
    Backing up to Time machine on external drive (in progress now, 90 GB)
    Re-install from OSX disks (do I just boot with disk in drive or what)
    Do a time machine restore (hope that's not too complicated either)
    Thanks for the help guys, let you know how it goes.

10. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

I would actually avoid trying to restore from a backup since you might just end up back where you started.

If at all possible, just manually back up anything vital. Its a pain, but it might be worth the trouble to save you from having this possibly happen again.