Brand New 17in MBP SR 2.4 with Tiger? Return?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by weareattack, May 8, 2008.

1. weareattack macrumors newbie

So I bought a New 17in MBP SR 2.4 (non hi-res) from Amazons' Warehouse Deals page on Monday. It was even $100 cheaper than Apple's Refurb store (plus no tax) but I guess now I know why. As I turned this on the ready myself for the onslaught of Apple registration pages, I noticed it was running Tiger instead of Leopard.

So I called a local Apple store to see if they can give me a free copy of Leopard with my 3-day old receipt but they just told me to go back to Amazon - which kind of surprised me.

This laptop suddenly doesn't seem like such a great deal. If I were to convince Amazon to send me a copy of Leopard, would I be losing any software that came preloaded with my machine (like ilife, comic life, etc) if I were to do a clean install?

Part of me just wants to say 'screw it' and just return it to Amazon. At the same time, this might be the last chance I ever had to own a new 17in MBP.

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

ilife yes

comic life doesnt come with it anymore

3. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Correct, If you did a clean install. You can do an upgrade and keep all of the software of course.

I wouldn't return it, take the money you saved or find it from somewhere at some time and upgrade to Leopard.

4. EMAGDNIM macrumors member

EMAGDNIM

5. weareattack thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm gonna have to sleep on it. I sent off emails to Amazon and will try calling Apple's customer service tomorrow. I'm leaning on returning it.

It bums me out that it doesn't have Leopard. I want to be able to do a clean install which would remove iLife - which sucks. $2k is still a lot for a laptop and I already feel like I'm passing on the new Penrynn features like a cooler cpu, multitouch, and LED lighting for 2 inches of screen. now add the OS?

I might just be bitter. I'm leaving it boxed up until I hear back from Amazon's customer service.

EDIT: Amazon will accept my return for a refund but that's all I can do through them. I really haven't had the chance to really play around with the MBP but there was pretty noticeable light bleed from the bottom so maybe this will be for the better.