Brand New 2014 MBPR 13. What apps should i have??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by louismilch, Aug 27, 2014.

1. louismilch macrumors newbie

What apps should i download on my new MBPr 13??

2. nameischarles macrumors member

nameischarles

depends what you need but essentials I download across all my mac devices are VLC, iStat Menu, Paragon NTFS, Airmail, Spotify, unRARx, and uTorrent.

3. Qaanol macrumors 6502a

And I, conversely, have exactly zero of those programs installed. nameischarles is right though, it really does depend what you need.

Since I like to customize my computer a lot, BetterTouchTool is one of the first programs I install on any new Mac.

If you want more screen resolutions than Apple provides, there are several options. I have QuickRes because it lets me use a keyboard shortcut to switch.

For image editing, Pixelmator and Acorn are good. I own both but prefer Acorn. Seashore is nice too, free and simple to use, albeit with fewer features.

If you do vector editing, Sketch 3 and iDraw are the way to go. I only have iDraw, but I understand Sketch is more powerful.

For office work, the standard Pages, Numbers, and Keynote are quite strong. The free LibreOffice arguably has more features, but I find its interface clunky. Bean is a sleek, light-weight, free word processor.

Oh that reminds me, if you do any sort of serious work with plain text, you need to have TextWrangler.

TinkerTool lets you change hidden system settings, Audacity is a sound editor, the Unarchiver lets you extract a whole bunch of compressed file formats, and the list goes on. If you let us know what you do (or would like to do) with your machine, we can give more focused guidance.

4. louismilch thread starter macrumors newbie

I pretty much watch a ton of movies...write...browse the web...email...facetime...music....I have scrivener for writing. I tried the better snap tool didn't really like how it fit. I tried ms office, that **** is so slow. Im fine with safari. I like iPhoto integration but even on this new mac it seems slow. Im a lifetime pc user but i can't build a computer here where i am do to lack of space and i always liked how macs looked. I just want to see whats out there in terms of apps.

5. chabig macrumors 601

Here are ways to "see what's out there":

1. Apple's Mac App Store (look under the Apple menu)
    2. www.macupdate.com - a comprehensive database of every Mac app