Brand new 2015 rMBP 15 inch...with issues...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kgenova, Jun 6, 2015.

1. kgenova macrumors 6502a

kgenova

Hi guys. I just got a 2015 rMBP 15 inch (base model configuration) last week and have had two instances so far where I have had to hold down the power button to restart the machine. In the first instance, all my apps became unresponsive--no quit, no force quit options until I could finally do nothing at all and had to hold down the power button to restart, and the second instance happened several days later, coming out of sleep I had a black screen with nothing visible except for the mouse pointer. I waited at least five minutes, but it never cleared up, so I had to hit the power button to restart. So, do you think I should return it? I am still within the 2 week return period. I am thinking of perhaps exchanging it for the 13 inch 2015 rMBP--it has Broadwell, at least. Thoughts?

2. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    That all sucks, sorry... I suggest taking it to Apple or wherever you got it and get a repair or exchange. also as for Broadwell... It will not be any better than the Quad core i7 Crystallwell that is on the current 15." Broadwell on the 13" is just a dual core and much less powerful. Both machines are great, but if you want more power the 15" is the better choice, if you want more portability the 13" is better. It sounds like the machine you got is just a glitchy machine.

Broadwell is newer but is a dual core and is still not as good CPU or GPU wise as the Haswell/Crystallwell processors in the 15" machines.
    Later IF Apple puts the Broadwell H (Quad Core mobile) chips in the next refresh they will be a bit better, but it may not happen for awhile.

Kal.

3. kgenova thread starter macrumors 6502a

kgenova

Thanks. Two incidents of this type in one week seems bizarre to me. I am definitely going to take it in to the Apple Store...not sure yet what I will exchange it for...

4. soupcan macrumors 6502a

soupcan

Those are not specific to your Mac, I've had them both as well, both on my old MacBook Air and my current late-2014 15" rMBP. Looks more like Yosemite is borked.

5. kgenova thread starter macrumors 6502a

kgenova

How often did they occur? Have you asked Apple support about them?

6. msh macrumors regular

I had the power nap/sleep issue with my new one. When waking from an extended sleep the machine would report that it had to be restarted because of an error. Turning off power nap and wake-on-lan solved the problem. I returned my machine but not because of the sleep issue but to wait for the next revision. I would stick with the 15"; so much more gratifying than the 13"; bigger screen, much more powerful performance.

7. soupcan macrumors 6502a

soupcan

Not very often, actually. And no, didn't tell Apple support about it. Did leave a suggestion though at Apple's website, so maybe for OS 10.11 "insert name here" we'll have some fixes.

8. sebseb macrumors 6502

sebseb

I don't think that has to do with hardware is it's most likely yosemite. I had it on a 2010 MBP and it had all of those issues. Rarely did I have to hard shut it down for apps not responding but many times It would not wake up from sleep. I preferred to wait 2 min for the computer to boot rather than put it in sleep. I'll be getting the 2015 model soon and since it will boot in 5-10 seconds, i don't have any problem shutting it down.

9. kgenova thread starter macrumors 6502a

kgenova

Thanks so much for everyone's input! I really appreciate it!

10. DaWhiteCastle macrumors newbie

I just got my 2015 15" 2.5 GHz at the Apple Store nearby 2 weeks ago and had the issue of things becoming unresponsive. I noticed that it happened when I accidentally tried to drag things that weren't draggable to random places. It happened to me twice that week, but I think it is me not used to the ForceTouch Trackpad (not that this should cause that issue). What unfroze it for me was just closing the lid and opening it back up and it was fine. I did call Apple and he thought it might be a specific application (such as Google Chrome) but said if it wasn't that, then he would have me do a fresh OSX install. I haven't made any dragging mistakes since though, and it hasn't ever happened again....smooth as glass :)

11. venom600 macrumors 6502a

I just got my 2015 2.5 Monday as a replacement for my Macbook Pro 17, and guess what... same thing. As soon as I restored my time machine backup the computer froze, then died. Restarted it, and it is totally unresponsive when it loads the login screen. Reformatted the drive, and it failed internet recovery repeatedly with a ton of errors (everything from the -2105f a network issue to it being unable to verify the computer with the App store). Took it to the Apple store and they replaced the SSD (the 1TB model).

Got it home, did a restore from time machine and it worked for about an hour, and let me install Windows. Rebooted into OS X and it happened again. Tried booting into Safe Mode, it was still locked. I tried single user mode, and even that was unresponsive (I've never seen that before).

After an hour on the phone with Apple, he had me try internet recovery one more time, and this time internet recovery locked up. I tried to restart, and now it won't even turn on. The senior advisor told me to take it to the Apple Store for tests... wonderful.