Brand new 21.5" iMac - DEAD - SOLVED

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Steve.P.JobsFan, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Steve.P.JobsFan, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012

Steve.P.JobsFan macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

I'm writing this via Safari on the Recovery Partition.

I just got my brand new iMac out of the box, and set up. The specs are in my signature. I had it transfer my data from my old iMac, running 10.7.2. I had it transfer everything except for the settings from the old iMac. It finished, I was then looking at a gray screen (It's the wallpaper you see at login) for 5 minutes. I disconnected everything from the iMac. I did get a warning the drive was disconnected. I did a forced shutdown, and rebooted. I am now stuck at the white screen with the Apple logo and a cog. I can boot to the Recovery HD just fine. I did a Verify and Repair disk, and it said it was fine. I cannot boot to Safe Mode either. Please help me!

EDIT: As soon as I took the wrapper off, I added 8GB of RAM, before the first boot. Should I try taking the RAM (It's Crucial RAM) out?

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I would make certain that the RAM is firmly and evenly seated. However, the issue sounds more like file loss or corruption. I reason that when you abruptly shut the iMac down, you may have done so while it was editing a crucial file.

My solution, in my experience, would simply be to use the Recovery HD to reinstall Lion, then start over.

Notice: Once you initially start up the iMac again, check Software Update to insure you're running the latest version of Lion.

3. Steve.P.JobsFan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

New issue. No matter how hard I pull on the tabs, the RAM won't come out! All four slots are occupied.

4. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

You shouldn't need force. there are clips.

Find your iMac manual (or download one from online) and read how they work.

Run the apple hardware test by holding down D on startup and see if the RAM passes.

5. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

The removal instructions should be on the cover that you remove to install it.

6. Steve.P.JobsFan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

I know how to remove it! I just took the da** chips out! Now they won't.

7. Steve.P.JobsFan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

iDecker, I wanted to say sorry. I was just really angry, and my manners escaped me.

Anyways, I got it working. Apparently, the Time Machine backup from my old 2007 iMac running 10.7.2 botches the system. I'm assuming it's replacing system files with the ones from my iMac, because when I migrate it, NOTHING works. I can't even shutdown via the menubar. Anyways, I reinstalled Lion, and manually moved my data over, then I bought a new drive for Time Machine, and backed all my data up.

If a mod could please lock this thread, as my problem is solved, I'd appreciate it.

- William