Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nutritious

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2008
They probably use the same LG IPS Panel as Apple and, I know for sure that HP uses these panels themselves also.

yes, they do. that was my point...

though I think they have one monitor with their own custom IPS panel, but i think it's a 20" monitor or something...

avihappy

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
um, you can blame LG for crappy quality control on their IPS panels...it's not really apple's fault. Even expensive NEC (with IPS panels) monitors have that problem...

Thank you

So, if this is indeed the case, how many times would I have to get my panel replaced before I get a non-defective display?

Weepul

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
So, if this is indeed the case, how many times would I have to get my panel replaced before I get a non-defective display?

I've no idea.

The one 2009 24" iMac I've seen had this problem pretty severely, quite a bit worse than the Dell 2209wa I have (which itself is just on the borderline of being bad enough to ask for a swap under warranty, or to not bother). The previous 24" iMacs I'd seen were all much more uniform (not a huge sampling of them, 2 or 3).

A 23" Apple Cinema Display I looked at also showed the darkening around the edges, but not as much as my 2209wa and not nearly as much as the 2009 24" iMac.

I wonder what's changed in the design or the manufacture to introduce this drop in quality?

MacAndy74

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2009
Australia
Is this an issue with all aluminum iMacs or just the latest release?

Well, some iMac customers say their iMac panels have a backlight problem. Honestly, I haven't really noticed this problem at all - even after unpacking and setting up about 60 late 2008 iMac's and 2009 iMac's.
So I just don't know personally if there is a fault or not. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.