Brand New 250GB Ext. HD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Neo110503, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Neo110503 macrumors regular

So i'm getting a 250GB HD for x-mas and was wondering how much i should devote to Time Machine. I have an 80GB in my mac and about 30GB free with all of my music and soon to be my pics on that external. Should i just do a 170 GB 80GB split or will i need more for time machine. Thanks for all the help

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'd give Time Machine as much space as you can afford, but a 170-80 split sounds sensible. (As HD space reported on the computer is less than that given by the manufacturers you should probably go for that ratio).

3. ryanmcd02 macrumors member

I did similarly. I think the main considerations are how much turnover you have in memory, how often you are going to back-up, and how far back you want to back able to retrieve files. If you don't want anything too old, like me, and just like having the past week, you don't need a whole lot more than is on your comp hd now.

It is too back that Time Machine isn't integrated into typical storage somehow. At the current I have everything in one partition (including everything not on my Powerbook, such as rarely listened to music), while I also have everything on my computer doubled in Time Machine. I guess as long as the drive doesn't fill up you can use TM to hold files like these, but if it does then you will start to lose all that old stuff that you want to keep somewhere but not on your comp's hd. Maybe just a way to mark certain files or file types as "never make room by deleting these." 2 cents.

4. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I use a 1 TB MyBook Studio for TM. I didn't bother partitioning the drive, but just use it for other files as well as TM.

I'll just let the drive fill up. When it gets to that point I can get a second drive for the non-TM backup files, or not and let TM start trimming old backups. But if I partition I'll have less flexibility to make that kind of decision.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you dont need to spilt if the external is hfs

all time machine is is a folder on your hd. nothing more

6. akadmon macrumors 68010

250 GB? That's insane!:eek: You should talk Santa into getting you at least a 500 GB drive. I saw a 500GB WD myBook at CompUSA for $119 this weekend.