Brand new battery... Already only 2 hours remaining

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by crazyrog17, Jan 30, 2009.

1. crazyrog17 macrumors regular

Well, to start, I had the brightness all the way down, keyboard backlight off, no runaway processes and was only typing a paper on word. I've used a Clamshell with 10-15 minutes of battery life, so I can squeeze power out of a computer.

iStat pro showed 99% Battery Life, 4 Charge Cycles, %69 Charge and 1:56 Remaining. I believe iStat gets it's information from System Profiler, but I checked to make sure it matched just in case.

By my calculations, I should have 3.45 hours remaining. I realize there might be a curve on the discharge scale, but 1.5 hours is a big difference.

I just called Apple Care. They told me to reset the computer (take out battery, hold power button) and re calibrate the battery. He mentioned the battery shouldn't have to be re calibrated so soon.

My prescription: I have to discharge it until it goes to sleep, leave it off for 2-3 hours and then charge it fully.

I asked whether I should discharge it suddenly or over time and the rep said either way was fine. I currently have iTunes running playing through the internal speakers full blast and a funky visualizer, Safari running to type this and soon I'll play around with Q running a bootable disc of DamnSmallLinux.

2. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Calibrating is the first step. If that doesn't work then call applecare back and see if you can get a new battery.

3. crazyrog17 thread starter macrumors regular

Cool, thanks.