Brand New Battery...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Minnow, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Minnow macrumors newbie

... but it doesn't hold the charge for as long as I thought it would.

I recently had a new battery installed. My old one had over 1200 cycles and the charge lasted about 1 hour and 15 minutes. This new battery is now only holding the charge for only 30 minutes longer (1 cycle). I have the "better battery life" checked. Should I go back to the apple store? Is there something I can do to make it last longer?

Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Is that how long it's lasting until sleep or shutdown, or simply what's indicated on the Menu Bar icon? Be sure you calibrate your battery so your readings are accurate.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

3. Minnow thread starter macrumors newbie

"Allow the battery to rest in the fully charged state for two hours or longer." This may be a dumb question, but is it resting while plugged in or unplugged?

I hope this works. I don't feel like going back to the Apple store again. :(

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read step 1. Now read step 2. Does it say anything about unplugging it? In fact, it says you can use it, as long as it stays plugged in. Now read step 3. That's when you unplug it. The instructions are quite clear, if you read them carefully.

5. Minnow thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I just wanted to make sure I was properly doing all of the steps.

I just drained the battery to sleep and turned it off.

Please work.

6. Minnow thread starter macrumors newbie

I finished the calibrating. It still says the health is 99% but the battery life is still showing 1 hour and 50 minutes (or so). A mere 30-45 minute difference from my old 1200 cycle battery.

:mad:

Is that normal? Should I just call or go to the store?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The indicated battery life is a constantly-changing estimate, based on your current workload on your system. It can change from minute to minute, as your power demands change.