Brand New Black MacBook ...external drives nightmare.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by username7410, Mar 6, 2008.

1. username7410 macrumors member

So I just recently purchased my first Mac ...the recent updated black MacBook. I've owned an I/O Magic 80GB GigaBank and had all of my files on it ready to transfer from my PC to Mac, only problem is the MacBook doesn't see the drive AT ALL! Not on the desktop and not in the disk utility. The lights come on, sounds like its spinning ...but nothing! I check the formating and its FAT32. I thought it was a power issue so I used the Y USB cable to make use of BOTH USB ports, and still nothing. It reads fine on every PC I plug it into, but my new MacBook ignores it.

I know there was a problem when Leopard was upgraded with reading external drives but I'm running the most updated version and from what I read that problem was fixed. Can anybody help, please?

Totally frustrating having my first experience with Mac being a hassle like this. :(

2. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Maybe a power issue. Use the standard USB cable and the power adapter for the unit...

3. username7410 thread starter macrumors member

Can you recommend a power adapter unit or brand?

4. username7410 thread starter macrumors member

I should also add that using a USB mouse and a larger powered external worked on the USB port.