Brand new HDD + Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by T34418leONE, Dec 17, 2010.

1. T34418leONE macrumors member

Hey everyone, I just purchased a used MBP (2007 2.33GHZ 15'' C2D) and also purchased a WD 640GB HDD.

I got the physical part of the installation of the HDD down and purchased the correct tools and all.

I want to upgrade to Snow Leopard once I install this hard drive into the MBP.

I do not care or need to back anything up or save anything up since none of the stuff on it is mine anyways so I'd like to start fresh! I did notice the laptop has MS office installed which would be nice to keep but I can work with OpenOffice for now until I purchase MS office for Mac. Can someone talk me step by step on doing a fresh install of SL on the HD once it's installed?

I think it should be pretty easy as I know a lot of you guys on here are extremely helpful from some of the threads i've been reading so I'm hoping someone can help with this! I just basically would like to know where to go from *Holding down the C key and all the menus from there on! I'd just like to know if I need to do the partition or format stuff and what options to chose if I just need a clean OS install and don't need to back anything up!

thanks everyone, have a nice day, hope to read the replies soon:D

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The guide posted above is spot-on. I have used these directions to perform clean installs in the past. Worked perfectly, and as advertised - except for a few stubborn applications that required reinstallation afterwards (which is why I always keep installer files).

3. T34418leONE thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the link, but on the "erase" step do I need to "erase" a HDD that is brand new?

4. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

Yes. Erasing will remove the pre existing Windows format and then apply the HFS+ Mac format.

I don't see it mentioned here but you will also need to set the Partition Table to GUID if it isn't done by default.

5. T34418leONE thread starter macrumors member

Hey, thanks for the info. Can you tell me how to do the partition step, please?

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This isn't hard. In Disk Utility:
    1. Select the device (will be called something like HD302221AAS)
    2. Select the Partition tab
    3. Select 1 Partition from the drop-down menu
    4. Click Options... button
    5. Select GUID Partition Table from the list
    6. Click OK
    7. Give the partition a name
    8. Click Format
    9. Confirm that you wish to do this

7. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

You will be doing all this while booted from your OS install disc. Select the HD on the left hand side of the Disk Utility window. Click the Partition tab. Choose your volume scheme. Click the options button. Select GUID. Click apply.

8. T34418leONE thread starter macrumors member

Thank you everyone! I have full confidence now to go ahead and do this over the weekend. I appreciate it!