Brand New iMac 27", iTunes Totally Locks Up

Discussion in 'iMac' started by KidStallyn, May 30, 2011.

1. KidStallyn macrumors 6502

KidStallyn

Just bought my 2011 27" iMac yesterday, and when I start iTunes, it toally locks up the system, and the only way to gain control again is to turn off the power and reboot. The mouse moves around on the screen, but it's totally unresponsive to any clicks. Has anyone else had this issue?? I've seen some discusion threads about rebuilding the iTunes library xml, but that hasn't helped one bit. Neither has deleting and re-installing iTunes. This is absolutely frustrating!

Let me add to this.....if i let it set long enough, I get a spinning pinwheel.

2. dfine1966 macrumors 6502

This has happened in the past. One fix was to completely unistall iTunes and Quicktime then re-download from Apple the combo install of iTunes and Quicktime and that has worked for some. Another way people have corrected this problem is to unchecked the "allow simultaneous downloads" in the settings for iTunes.

Also, do you have the latest version of iTunes? If it is the latest, maybe you might want to download an earlier version (google is your friend when looking for older version) and install that version and wait until a newer version is released.

3. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Call AppleCare they can probably help sort it out. The machine is covered for 90 days so you should take advantage of the opportunity. The number is in your owners manual.

4. elithrar macrumors 6502

elithrar

Run Software Update, grab all your updates, and then reboot. iTunes can often crash if you've updated and not rebooted (especially).

5. KidStallyn thread starter macrumors 6502

KidStallyn

Tried the uninstall and reinstall several tiems to no avail. Tried reinstalling my library xml.....Still no luck.

I have a call into apple care, and have a schedule appt tomorrow from 5-5:15pm......they're closed for the holiday. Going to drop back and punt to 10.1, and see if that helps in the meantime. Not sure it will though, but there's always hope.

6. Benz63amg macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

why are u getting yourself into all of that trouble for nothing? im having minor itunes issues aswell, it has to do with the new 2011 imacs and itunes i guess, apple will fix with their upcoming 10.6.8 software update and what not... some people's itunes works perfect and some people's not so perfect. its not your system only, me personally when i scroll in itunes its not completely smooth scrolling, it sort of is but not 100%, im sure it just some software quirks with the new iMac and itunes..

if u want to exchange ur imac then do so but remember u might always get a replacement imac with a yellow screen and what not which is far worse than crashing itunes.

7. azurehi macrumors regular

azurehi

Every time I get close to buying my first iMac, I read about the yellow screen problem or something like what is being discussed here. It Must be a Sign Not to Buy

8. Benz63amg macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

well if u get one without the yellow tint then its surely a BUY!!! haha, dont worry tho man, just buy it and if it does have it then just return it for another one,. ;)

9. KidStallyn thread starter macrumors 6502

KidStallyn

I went back and reinstalled the OS and iTunes with what was installed when I bought it yesterday using the DVDs that came with the system, and it's working like it should. I really think it's something with the update to the latest OSX. Going to stay away from that one for a while.

10. Benz63amg macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

11. KidStallyn thread starter macrumors 6502

KidStallyn

Not exactly sure if it was 10.6.7 or if it was iTunes itself. My theory is something in the OS was corrupted by either upgrading to 10.6.7 or to iTunes. I'm not sure which it was. I also haven't had a chance to re-apply the updates again to see if it happens. I knew that iTunes was not acting like that in the store when they unboxed it and showed me around, so that was why I went back to the install DVD. I also thought that when I did that it would erase everything, which did not happen to my surprise. All of the software that I had previously installed and my iTunes files were left intact. So it just purely re-installed MAC OS when I did it.

I still have a scheduled call with Apple Care from 5-5:15pm tonight, I will probably report my findings to them. They may have me re-apply the updates to see if it happens again. But I don't know if I really want to. If it ain't broke, don't fix it... :)

12. KidStallyn thread starter macrumors 6502

KidStallyn

finally got around to installing 10.6.7, and it hosed up again. Something with that update is not happy with my iTunes library. Guess I won't be going past 10.6.6 until I can figure it out.

13. Benz63amg macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

14. KidStallyn thread starter macrumors 6502

KidStallyn

So....its a total mystery why this was happening. After several weeks of troubleshooting with Apple phone technical service, they finally decided that I should take it back to a retail store so they could run a diagnostics. We literally did everything. They sent me a diagnostics program and sent that to engineering. About a week later, they called back and wanted to try a few more things. We created a separate partition and installed 10.6.6 on it. Then upgraded directly to 10.6.8. Still happened. So I made my genius bar appt, boxed it up, and took it in. They ran diagnostics on it...nothing came up wrong. Installed 10.6.8 directly from their media....same thing. Finally the retail store manager decided to replace it with a new one. So they did a return, and gave brought out another one. This one had 10.6.7 installed on it already. Opened iTunes, and it WORKED!! No locking up! So, I came home, did all the updates, and am in the process of putting everything back on.

Crazy journey.....they still have no clue as to why this is happening....But. I have a happy 27" iMac and it works like a champ.

15. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Weird it was locking up. My iMac has been randomly locking-up freezing (the whole system forcing a force power off) -- still no luck on getting it swapped out, its happened more than a dozen times already. the iMac came with 10.6.7 preinstalled, combo updated to 10.6.8 -- no luck, sent me the same capture data program brought it in, etc nothing. such a waste to bring it in to these places honestly. waiting ot hear back from Apple regarding they prognosis on what is to be done. great machine, just terrible luck with the one in particular.

16. KidStallyn thread starter macrumors 6502

KidStallyn

The more i use this one that they replaced it with (less then 24 hours at this point), I'm beginning to think it was something with the Airport. Granted, their hardware check didn't reveal any issues, I think there is something very subtly wrong that the software upgrade in 10.6.7 (and still in 10.6.8) exposed.

The reason I suspect the Airport, is that the other iMac had a big problem staying connected to the internet. It was never able to connect to my SlingBox, and if set idle, would not stay connected to the router. Also, my Apple TV was never able to stay connected to the iTunes library, yet my PC had no issues at all.

My service adviser told me that he has seen the lockup issues with other iMacs, but not anywhere near the severity that mine was exhibiting.

17. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Hm, glad they got it replaced. Mine are still making me jump through hoops to get an obviously defective machine back to them. just a few minutes ago it locked-up/froze never really a rhyme or reason. could be no apps at all open, or a ton. so its hard to pinpoint.
    the ram is fine, tested it in a few other macs. so i think its like you said somewhere infested in 10.6.7/10.6.8