Brand new imac 27" model.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by GabbaGooch, Nov 8, 2011.

1. GabbaGooch macrumors newbie

i dont really use the thing for much. I play counter strike alot and surf the web a bit. Lately, I notice the loading circle alot more than usual. Emptied my cache, cleared history.....What else can I do? The computer isnt broken.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For performance issues, there are a few things you can check:
    • Check your Login Items under System Preferences > Accounts to see what you have automatically launching.
    • Also check /Library/LaunchAgents/ and /Users/yourusername/Library/LaunchAgents/ for items launching at startup
    • Look at what widgets you may have running.
    • Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". Then look to see what may be consuming system resources.
    • Take a look at the System Memory tab at the bottom of Activity Monitor to see if you have excessive "page outs", a sign that you may benefit from more RAM.
    • Make sure you're not running any 3rd party antivirus app, as many of those will drain resources, reducing performance. They're not needed to protect your Mac.

3. Sonhascome macrumors 6502

This is a good place to start, let us know what happens

4. GabbaGooch thread starter macrumors newbie

yea so far all these suggestions are clean. Nothing really open in any of those. Ram shouldnt be the issue because counter strike is a 10+ year old game and it was running fine. I have 4gb now. All the feedback i get with the exception of this site tells me i shouldnt have bought a mac but im willing to bet those people just cant afford one. I recently downloaded the app for Jedi knight 2 : Jedi Outcast because thats another game from my childhood and i think it might have started after downloading that app. I was told macs arent such a puss with it comes to viruses so i dont run any anti virus at all. Im really stumped.

5. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

You were wise not installing any anti virus software! However 4GB of RAM isn't very much by todays standards. I'd recommend running Activity Monitor (Applications - Utilities - Activity Monitor) when it slows down and look for any runaway processes. You can easily see by checking the %CPU column. Even more important click the System Memory tab and check the amount to FREE RAM. As a general rule of thumb if it has 500MB or less of RAM it needs to be upgraded.

6. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

perhaps the hard drive is spinning down, and when you go to access something you have to wait for it to spin up? in system preferences > energy saver uncheck "put the hard disk to sleep when possible"