Brand new iMac 5k crashes

Discussion in 'iMac' started by maxwarbucks, Nov 2, 2015.

1. maxwarbucks, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015

maxwarbucks macrumors newbie

I received my iMac 5k this afternoon. Within about four hours of heavy usage (setting everything up on it) it's crashed and hard restarted three times. Compared to this, I can't remember the last time that my 3 year old MacBook Pro crashed!

Unfortunately I couldn't pinpoint any particular trigger for these crashes... I'll try to be a bit more conscious when they happen next and see if I can tell what may be causing them.

Besides this though, I've also found that Dota 2 crashes on launch. Unlike the crash I mentioned previously this doesn't reboot the whole system, but still, it's very inconvenient! EDIT This was just due to some corrupt files I guess. After reinstalling Dota 2 it works great!

My iMac's specs are:
    - i7 4.0GHz
    - 512GB SSD
    - 395X 4GB GPU
    - 8GB RAM (planning to upgrade to 16GB later)

Have any of you had similar problems with your new iMacs, or do you think this is something over which I should ask for a replacement?

Thanks!

2. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

I'd try taking out / swapping one of the memory modules

3. maxwarbucks thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I tried that and didn't get any more crashes, but since I only have 2 x 4GB sticks for the time being I don't want to test with a memory stick one out for too long - OS X on 4GB is not very usable!

I also ran memtest86 overnight and no problems came up.

With both sticks in the machine I haven't had any crashes since yesterday, so hopefully whatever the problem was it's sorted itself out!