Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SENJU

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2007
http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/confused.gif
:confused:

My friend just got a brand new iMac 20inch this Sunday. I setup everything and all was fine. However, I found that the new imac was still on 10.4 version of the OS. In the box, I saw the Leopard upgrade CD and installed it. After the installment, a message came up requesting a reboot. However, all we get is a grey/white screen and icon spinning endlessly. I thought it was because it was updating during the first reboot so the logon prompt should come up in a couple of hours. However, the next day my friend tells me the icon is still spinning. I ask ed him to do a force power down and restart the iMAC but this did not help.
Questions:
1) Has anyone in this forum seen this problem with upgrades?
2) Any suggestions on how to solve this?

I guess I can ask my friend to reset the PROM (Command-Option-P-R keys) but I am so surprise to see a new system so unstable.

nando2323

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Did you guys do the software updates before attempting to upgrade? There are countless posts on this issue with Leopard on some of the iMacs.

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
A couple of hours?

You iMac will NEVER take this long to boot. If it has not booted after a few mins I would be worried.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.